Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
at120ajb

Bakers Nursery in Phoenix

AJBB
9 years ago

Looks like the three daughters of Old Man Baker have sold the property and will be closing the iconic nursery at 40th and Osborn at the end of the year.

Comments (8)

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    9 years ago

Wow, what a shame. The one really great nursery in the Phoenix area... Oh well, I guess it's going to be Tucson or bust.

• ra
    9 years ago

oh wow what a surprise. I liked that nursery a lot too. I wonder why they decided to sell it, was the business not doing well?

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

A friend from work who grew up in PV, sent that sad news over. I think his family bought a lot of plants from them. It's too bad since they seem to go for quality over quantity.

• kevininphx
    9 years ago

They probably got a pretty penny for that property - being so close to "Arcdia' I'd expect it to be bulldozed and frame up as many 3,000 square foot stucco shitboxes as can be crammed on the lot . . . what a shame - because Whitfil and Berridge kind of suck and that's without even getting to the big box stores . . . meh

that's what happened on Campbell just west of Postino's/LGO where there used to be some swim club that recently closed as well!

• cwlucking
    9 years ago

Living at Campbell and 28th, Baker's was not only the closest nursery but the only really good one. I go there once a month, at least. Very sad about this news. They are going to build houses on the land, and yes, I imagine they negociated a very high price for it. Such a shame.
    Sad about the Phoenix swim club as well, another icon gone to the housing developers.

• jimharper
    9 years ago

Hmm. Too bad. It was there as long as I can remember, which would be early 60's. Nurseries need new building going on to really thrive and there isn't any of that within miles

I haven't lived in the area for years, but I understand Arcadia area Or even peripheral areas like 40th st. and Campbell, have gotten to be hoighty toighty. Used to be an enclave for engineers who worked for Motorola.

Mom had a run-in with old man Baker and after that never liked them, but they were a real nursery.

So much (OK, almost all) of old Phoenix that was attractive is now gone--like the blocks upon blocks of pomegranites that lined the irrigation canal along 40th street, and the citrus orchards that used to dot the whole city. I can see why it seemed like paradise to my parents in 1959.

• cwlucking
    9 years ago

There are still blocks and blocks of pomegranate trees on 40th, I occasionally do a little urban foraging along there. And yeah, Phoenix has changed, but there are wonderful things happening here that have only begun in the last 10 years or so that bring a lot of life, beauty and fun to the city.
    Bakers may be closing, and that's sad, but there's a huge edible gardening movement happening here now and many organizations that support it. The garden at Indian School is incredible, and that's just one of many throughout the city.
    Phoenix is way cooler now than it was 20 years ago - this from someone who grew up here in the 70s/80s/90s, and just moved back here in 2012.

• vvljardin
    9 years ago

Sad news about Bakers Nursery closing. It's a favorite of mine, not only for the plants but also for the garden decors. I'll have to look for another quality nursery!