Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerprer

Soil for Daffodil Bulbs planting

gardenerprer
11 years ago

Hello,

I just planted 4 days back my daffodils, freesia and Ranunculus. I used mix of Miracle Grow garden soil and phoenix soil. Loosened all the soil below the bulb also and added bone meal at the base. I am just worried if I should have used only Miracle grow soil instead of mixing with phoenix soil which seems to be little clay to me. Please help me with my question, if I should remove some soil and try mixing more miracle grow soil or the way I did is fine and wait an see.

Thank you!!!

Comments (9)

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

No, you did it right. I use MG 'garden soil' as an amendment, too. Directions say to mix with your own soil and that's the way to do it. Your bulbs will be fine. I have narcissus in the packed soil in my yard and they come up and bloom like nobody's business. You've just done yours a favor by making the soil looser.

• thisisme
    11 years ago

tomatofreak where do you plant your narcissus? I have planted some in pots for indoors but still have a lot more bulbs. What kind of sun exposure can they take?

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

They were here when I got here and that was nearly 30 years ago. They were in full sun then; now they're in filtered shade. Where I grew up (MS), all the daffs and narcissus - and all the other bulbs my mom planted - were in sun. I don't think you have to worry so much about the summer heat here because they bloom in cool weather, then the scapes die back.

• thisisme
    11 years ago

Thanks tomatofreak.

• Juttah
    11 years ago

Speaking of daffodils, I'm planting mine this upcoming weekend, something I've never tried growing before. How often do the bulbs need watering?

They're going into a raised brick planter and will join some new perennials which are getting water every 3 days, tapering off to once a week when it gets cold (which it hasn't yet). Will they rot?

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

I grow a lot of daffodils too (mostly small-flowered types). Mine are all in full, hot sun and bloom and grow really well year after year. I agree with tomatofreak as usual, full sun is fine since they bloom when it's cooler and then disappear underground for summer dormancy.

I water mine once a week or so in autumn and spring, and maybe, just maybe once a month in summer, but I bet I water even less than that in summer when they're out of sight out of mind.

Juttah, I think your bulbs would be fine through spring and blooming, but that sounds like a lot of water for the summer when they're dormant. I'm curious to hear what other folks say though too. I tend to almost not-water them in summer, same with lycoris, and scilla too.

gardenerprer, I think you did everything right for planting yours too. Keep us posted!

Happy gardening all,
    Grant

• gardenerprer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your answers.
    I had the same question how often do I water them right now? I am just seeing if the soil is moist below then don't water and just sprinkle some times. I have put mulch on top of that.
    Please let me know how often do I water them, I haven't put drip system.. Just doing it manually from hose.
    Also, I have placed them at 4 places, one of the places(I have freesia and daffodils there) is not getting sun due to winter sun which is south nowadays.I am guessing after dec we shd start having the sun little north of what it is now.. Would that fine, I am just watering that one little less compared to other also.
    Thank you!!

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

I'd just slop water on them once or twice a week this time of year. When they have leaves/blooms I'd probably water maybe 2 or 3 times a week, then start reducing it when they begin to go dormant when it starts getting hot. Keep us posted, and keep the camera handy. :) Happy gardening!

• gardenerprer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Grant.. My bulbs started sprouting, total 8-9 out some 50 I grew.some daffodils, Freesia and Ranunculus. Attached pic :) Also, Grant I had question on Annuals on the other post if you can help me with my questions. Thank you so much for your inputs.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022