Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to prune neglected citrus in new house. When? How?

Posted by overcaffeinated 9b - Phx (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 0:43

Just bought new house w/some sort of large lemon tree (Lisbon?), mystery tree (nursery said Bearss lime, but not convinced), and a Mexican Lime tree.

They must be about 4-5 years old (house is only 4 years old) and don't seem to have been pruned or maintained. (House was a short sale.) One BIG sucker on the mystery tree. I've heard this is important to remove.

Should I attempt this myself? When? I don't like how tall the trees have become and they are VERY thick and thorny.

And, in all honesty, if anyone can recommend a good arborist to initially help me get this under control, then I'd be willing if the price is reasonable and I can take it from there.

I just need as cheap as possible w/o killing the trees OR good advice how I can start on this myself.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to prune neglected citrus in new house. When? How?

Get some good lopping shears, good gloves, and take the sucker out at ground level. Also clip out any broken or dead branches.

The rest can wait until spring. You can read up on how to prune citrus this winter.

o

yeah I'd get rid of the sucker, that can go anytime. everything else can wait until spring. Pruning tends to stimulate fresh growth and you don't want nice baby branches right before the cold comes. halfway through Feb I'd say might be a good time to give it a good pruning

o

You can search for local arborists or tree care professionals at the link below. Just scroll to the bottom of the home page and select your city or county. Any certifications that the individuals hold will be listed like certified arborist, certified tree care worker, consulitng arborist, etc.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Find a Tree Professional

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here