Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Suggestions for Shade Loving Shrub

Posted by peoriaplanting (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 1:33

I need help with a bad spot in my yard. I have about a 6ft walkway between my house and block wall on the east side of my lot. The neighbors have a giant orange tree that shades that area pretty much the entire day, maybe allowing an hour of sun to get through. Since the wall is maybe about 5 feet high and they undercut the orange tree, there is no privacy between our windows and theirs and it feels a little awkward not to have some sort of screening plants.

I have tried orange bells and cape honeysuckle, neither of them lasted more than a few months. Because there's not much sun and I have landscape fabric down under the rocks, the ground stays pretty wet.

Any suggestions on a 6-10 foot shrub or small tree, 3-4ft wide that can take full shade and soggy soil here?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Suggestions for Shade Loving Shrub

I see pittosporum doing pretty well in similar locations. The probably want a bit more sun but they might be worth trying? If you're okay with something that's not a shrub, I've seen a lot of Australian sword ferns (Nephrolepis obliterata) thriving in similar conditions. A really tall one might be almost three feet tall eventually and would at least visually fill up that space. I have one I keep in a pot along the east side of my house and its done great, and they seem even happier with less light than I give mine.

Let us know what you try and how it works out.
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here