Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
senore100

Newly planted Pygmy Date Palm, fronds turning brown

senore100
13 years ago

I planted a 7 gallon pygmy date palm 5 days ago. Since then I water it every other day, each time with about 1.5 gallons of water. I know for sure that the soil it sits in is damp, and since now the temperature in the valley has come down quite a bit, I haven't watered it every day.

Before it was planted, I noticed that one frond started to turn brown at the tips. Well, after I planted it, there have been quite a few fronds that started to brown. And the one that was a bit brown now turned totally brown (sorry about the tongue twister!)

Here are a few pictures:

{{gwi:423873}}
{{gwi:423874}}
{{gwi:423875}}
{{gwi:423876}}
These pictures were taken this morning. And by the time I got home in the evening, it was actually even worse -- two fronds had turned pretty much totally brown.

Could someone please kindly tell me if this is just simply the initial shock, or from too much water, or too little water? Thanks so much!

PS:Just in case the pix don't show, here are the links:

http://senoregardening.shutterfly.com/pictures/11

http://senoregardening.shutterfly.com/pictures/13

http://senoregardening.shutterfly.com/pictures/12

http://senoregardening.shutterfly.com/pictures/10

Comments (10)

• senore100
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks grant_in_arizona!
    What worries me most is that the trunk appears to be turning brown, as you can see from this picture.
    I went back to Home Depot and took a look at pygmies of a similar size, and their trunks all looked green!
    Have already cut down on watering. Just a little bit water (like a cup or two) every day in the morning. I can see that the clay is damp enough.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Hmmm...that is a little worrying. There's really not much you can do other than let them get slightly dry between watering. If they were mine I wouldn't water them every single day, but rather give them a good drink and then let them go several days until the next watering (especially now that it's so cool).

Good luck and keep us posted. I think they can be pretty finicky when they get transplanted, but once they are happy they're pretty easy to keep happy.

Take care,
    Grant

• senore100
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I will quit watering every day, and wait a few more days to see how it does.
    It was my first time planting a pygmy palm -- well, planing anything, really. lol.
    Worse case scenario I will have to dig it out and get another one from Home Depot. It would be such a shame because I really like the shape of this one, and a lot of effort already went into it.
    Thanks again!

• senore100
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Today's the end of the second week after it was transplanted, and the pygmy is still alive! The color of the trunk remains pretty much the same (as in the picture), and the tips of a few fronds have turned brown. But other than that, it seems to be doing OK.
    I hope that the initial shock stage is already over now! Still keep my fingers crossed.
    Jeff

• neilaz
    13 years ago

I don't think you can over them. I have two in my pond year round and i have to replace them every two years cause they grow like a weed. Just get too big for the area.

• senore100
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What?! Pygmies in a pond! I thought they love moisture but hate sitting in water! Also aren't they supposed to grow really slow?
    Anyway I am so glad that mine is still alive at this point!

• neilaz
    13 years ago

They only sit in about an inch of water but wet all the time. Didn't think it would work but been doing it for 5 years and they are the greenest ones i have.

• James
    7 years ago

I have the same problem. I water once a week. Since it's winter. Trips are turning brown and yellow. Doesn't look healthy.

I think I planted the tree too deep. I need to dig it out and raise it up higher.

• Gary Zimmerman
    5 years ago

Go to Walmart and get some potassium pills. Place in the soil or whatever, palms need potassium.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor