Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattywhack_gw

Gourds

pattywhack_gw
10 years ago

I live in Buckeye. Has anyone grown birdhouse gourds. If so when is the best time to plant? Thank you!

Comments (8)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

Did you hear about the frog who went into the bank to get a loan? For collateral the frog brought a small statue of Goofy, a knickknack from his home. The banker, Miss Patty Whack, was dubious until the VP came in and said.......wait for it......it's a knickknack Miss PattyWhack, give the frog a loan......................ackkk. Couldn't resist.

Sorry PattyWhack, I don't know when to start gourds here. My two attempts to grow gourds failed. There is a Gourds forum on GW though, maybe someone there can help.

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

LOL, Mary! PattyWhack, here's a link to growing gourds. I can attest it is a very simple, easy plant to grow. I can't promise the vines won't take over your yard! I propagated a few seeds several years ago. I gave one to my neighbor who planted it on her side of our backyard fence and I planted one on my side. Between the two plants, we harvested over 50 gourds. Another plus to growing gourds is that the plants and blooms are beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing gourds

• v8vega
    10 years ago

They grow wild all over my property down in S.E. Az.

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

I think they must be very adaptable; I've seen them along roads in NE AZ and between Phoenix and Tucson.

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

Spring. Does fine in full sun and heat. If you need seeds let's know. Need a large trellis. Good for shading other veggies.

• pattywhack_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am native of Minnesota, moved to Buckeye a few years ago. Grew gourds like weeds there! My supply for crafting is running quite low!! Thanks for a info, may start them in March.....Mary my Grampa tagged me with Pattywhack and it has stuck!! LOL

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

Can you share crafting ideas and gourd prep. Many of mine started to shrivel, especially if I didn't cut a hole open and empty out the contents, but even after doing that some shriveled and some didn't.

• pattywhack_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what I have done. After the vines dies, cut the gourd off, leaving a few inches of stem on. Leave them laying not touching each other. In a year (more or less), they will be light weight. They do get moldy....that is a good thing! If they shrivel throw away, I never had many to throw, but that was in MN. When dry, soak in water, and scrub...and scrub some more. Many times the mold leaves cool markings on them. I use a wood burner, paints, colored pencils, sewn beads, about anything you can dream up. I will try to take some pics to give you some ideas if you would like. Hope this helps!

Sponsored
Terra Landscape and Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
North Fairfax County's Dedicated Landscape Contractors | Best of Houzz