Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving Established Chili Plants

Posted by marymcp 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 10, 09 at 8:15

I would like to relocate four chili plants that have been in the ground and producing bountifully for 3 years. I recently harvested all the peppers and have pruned them back to trunk nubs. Will I kill them if I move them? Is now a good time?

Thanks for any help.
Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving Established Chili Plants

Do what is called "Root Pruning" this fall,and move them next spring.

This link if for tomatoes, but the technique is the same.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4893645_early-vine-ripened-tomatoes-garden.html

o

Excellent! Thanks Lazy.

o

I don't mean to change the subject, but how on earth have you kept chili plants alive that long? I always lose them in the winter.

o

Dunno.....they just keep on growin'....where are you terriz? I do mulch heavily in winter, straw and wood chips. The latter when I can get them.....hint hint to rtl....

LazyGardens, I tried the root pruning idea but the shovel would not penetrate the ground. I suppose I need to soak the area. Been so darn busy with work, gardening has taken a back seat.

I may just order some new chiltepin plants and start a fresh batch of jalepeno's seeds. The jalepeno plants I have are from Biker Billy seeds and some of the fruit really did get quite large although not the 2" long, 1" shoulder that was promised. No complaints though, they are excellent plants and have produced abundantly.

o

Got it...They are under a foot and a half of snow right now. As soon as they thaw out I will bring some down to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here