Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie5_gw

Ixora Maui Red

marie5
18 years ago

Hi is anyone growing this plant? If so tell me where to plant mine. I picked one up at the Target sale. I do not usually by something I know nothing about but I just loved the look of this plant.

Comments (15)

• usha
    18 years ago

They are frost sensitive. They need filtered sun in summer. They like acidic food. My tester one in on patio and did not grow much this year but did bloom. Now I have to see if it will make it through winter! I just bought a white one-which is very fragrant. Now I am keeping my fingers crossed!

• marie5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info. Where did you find a white one?

• usha
    18 years ago

ixora fragrans. I bought it on line. Logees have them.

• marie5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Once again thank you. I will get online and check out Logees.

• grant_in_arizona
    18 years ago

Hi Marie and all,

These are fun plants, aren't they? I bought a very small yellow-flowering Ixora this spring and it's grown a bit and like Usha's, has really flowered this summer. I keep it on a covered patio so it only gets morning sun and then bright shade all day. It has really bloomed a lot. I don't plan on bringing it indoors this winter so I'm curious to see if it will survive the winter. It's done really well since March or so when I bought it. You, Usha and I should compare notes this spring. :)

Take care,
    Grant

• judy_b
    18 years ago

I had a yellow Ixora for a while. Lasted a couple of years, bloomed, but did slightly less better after each winter. Finally it was sooo tired it didn't even try until way late, and then not enough.

• grant_in_arizona
    18 years ago

Per Judy's comments, I'd better start planning a replacement plant then, lol. We'll see how it does this winter. It's thrive or die in my garden, so it'd better look good this spring or out it goes. Fun to hear all of the people test-driving these.

Thanks,
    Grant

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Yup, I killed one a couple years ago - guess they like to be kind of dry in the winter?

Good luck!

• eldo1960
    17 years ago

they're best considered annuals. they just don't winter well unless you live in the tropics.

• rene_gardener
    17 years ago

I was so glad to see postings on this plant, as i just bought one and I bought it because the bloom was so beautiful, but was at a loss as to planting and whether it would survive a winter or not, so I've learned lots, thanks!! I am thinking a container plant, pull it in in the winter time, am sure it would not survive if I didn't.

• jane64
    17 years ago

I bought this plant in the spring and it has done beautifully on the east side of my home in full sun mornings and shade later afternoon. I do have it in a pot container. I moved it to the porch last week and it is still blooming. Moving it to the inside soon. I live in central Okla.

• pheitmeyer
    17 years ago

I'm in NE Mesa, growing a Ixora Maui now (in the ground), planted it in april, and it has survived the summer partially shaded by queen palms. It is flowering nicely now, I supplement it every couple of months with acid water, iron, and fertilizer. We'll see how it does this winter :)

• ra
    13 years ago

any updates on the Ixora? I want to try this plant but I'm not sure how it'll do in our winters here.

• nimbley
    13 years ago

I've had one in the ground now for about 4 years and it's still doing great. It's planted in the shade of a cluster of queen palms and has never even been covered over winter. It does tend to get chlorotic in our soil here so I supliment with generous ammounts of mulch and chelated iron once a month. I was supprised they do so well here after seeing them planted all over Malaysia.

• jolj
    10 years ago

I just bought a red at Walmart & am going to keep it in a cold frame this winter. I repotted it into a larger pot, about 4 gallons, I can go up to a 25 gallons. I cut 55 & 30 gallon plastic drums in half to make 15 & 25 gallon pots. I may root some cuttings & test in ground outdoor in protected spots. I have seen plant that THEY say will not grow here do very well. So we will see & I will up date if I have good luck. Wish I could have 20 or so of them.
    I may have to do with azalea,lantana, daphne,laurel, & sweet shrub.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor