Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify this tree, and will it grow in Phoenix?

Posted by nickw252 none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 10:03

I am seeing these all over Palm Springs, CA, which I thought had a similar climate to Phoenix. Does anyone know what this tree is, and will it grow in Phoenix?

The tallest ones are about 20ft tall, it has large leaves and some have white flowers. The trunk is smooth and has green in it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify this tree, and will it grow in Phoenix?

I believe it's a Plumeria. They can grow here, but need a micro climate. They wouldn't grow in the ground, out in the open like this one.

o

It certainly looks like a plumeria and I know quite a few people grow them here in Phoenix. There are even a few that have them in the ground. Do a search on this forum for plumeria, also check the plumeria forum. Also if you do a google search on growing plumeria in Phoenix, you will find a number of results with a lot of good advice on growing them here in the valley. I am new to plumerias but I currently have a 3 foot one in a pot on my patio.

o

Yup, I agree with the others, it's definitely a plumeria ("frangipani" in some parts of the world). They can be grown in the Phoenix area in the ground in VERY warm microclimates, especially in central Phoenix, and in pots everywhere in the Valley. I've been growing a few in huge pots for several years and really love them. The three things to remember: afternoon shade in summer, no water when they drop their leaves in winter, and no hard freezes.

The ones I've had in the ground (N. Scottsdale) for several years all got zorched during this past winter's record breaking cold snap in early January. I brought the potted ones indoors for three nights.

Let us know if you give them a try, and how they work out for you. My favorite variety is 'Celandine' with massive, highly scented, yellow blooms. Here's a pic of her blooms:

Happy gardening!
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here