Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glendale_gardener

Upcoming Winter

glendale_gardener
10 years ago

Hope this finds everyone and their gardens well -

I've been searching through old threads regarding the hard freezes we had last winter (and previous winters as well). I'm curious for those of you who were hit real hard, how you're using those experiences to prepare differently for this winter and what those differences are?

I recently moved to the Phoenix area from Tucson and at the house we purchased here, there's evidence of the frost damage (several large trees cut to the ground�from the remnants looks to be a possible jacaranda and orchid tree --- although the orchid tree came back and is now more of a bush). Other evidence of the frost can be seen throughout the neighborhood (skeletons and half-skeletons of trees, etc).

I've never 'wintered' an orchid tree -- nor had I even seen one until we moved here -- so I'm real nervous about that one making it through (it looked as though before the freeze the tree was rather large, 10" to 12" diameter main trunk). Fortunately the tree began to grow shoots which the old owner allowed to become small branches and the tree is more a bush-like, multi-branched/trunked (?) creature now, with its longest branches/trunks (?) reaching about 9'-10' height. We also have a 24" box chitalpa, just put in this fall.

I know to have the lights and frost cloth/sheets on hand. I also saw in an old thread to water the day before the frost hits, as this is what farmers do to combat frost. Any other insights?

Also, how are your plants recovering from the last frost and did your Orchid Trees bloom after the frost hit them? I'm hoping to see this one bloom this spring, I've only seen pictures and I can't wait to see it in person.

Many thanks for your thoughts. Be well.

G_G

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!