Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeping Washintonias in central Phx!

Posted by tugbrethil Phoenix (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 23, 09 at 10:53

This fall, about 60% of the California Fan Palms in my neighborhood have started dripping sticky sap all over everything below them! Mexican Fan Palms and hybrids don't seem to be affected the same way, but the old neighborhood I live in doesn't have a lot of those to compare with. Is there a new pest or disease going around which does that? Is there a treatment? Or should I just become resigned to wiping third-rate "jaggery" off my car in the morning? I've got this posted on the palms forum, too, but I wanted to get the desert mavens' take, also.

Thank you!
Kevin : ()

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeping Washintonias in central Phx!

No clue here, but it sounds unfortunate. Did anyone at the palm forum have any ideas? Interesting development, thanks for mentioning it!

Take care and keep us posted,
Grant

o

The upshot at the Palm Forum is that I need to talk to the Cooperative Extension, or the Arizona Chapter of the International Palm Society. I'm a Master Gardener myself, but I still haven't had a chance to talk to their plant pathologist yet (my schedule, not their fault) and I haven't yet gotten in contact with the Palm Society. Will post more info as available. I get the impression that I'm the only one to notice this.

o

This *is* interesting. Let us know if you hear anything definitive. Take care, Grant.

o

Is it possible the sap is the syrup from the fruit?
Can you tall where exactly it is coming from? the fruit, the fruit stalks, the fronds, the trunk?
Arthur the date palm guy

o

Hmm. I've never seen the fruit producing liquid syrup before. I do know what an unholy, oily mess they make when they drop and I step on them. Unfortunately, I can't see well enough through the shag and old flower stalks to tell exactly what's dripping, nor have I ever managed to catch it in the drip. It seems to have tapered off quite a bit since our serious (LOL) cold weather started, but I don't know if it will start up again when the weather gets warmer.

Mea culpa--I still haven't gotten hold of the Palm Society. I promise I will try again, as soon as time, computer, and wetware intersect once more!

Kevin : /

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here