Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Hedges to block NOISY neighbors

Posted by montanamama 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 3, 09 at 10:54

I recently moved here from Montana (a Master Gardener there) but choosing plants here is so much different. I need to plant a staggered screen along '100 feet of block fence in my backyard. It is on the West side, gets full sun most of the day. I would like something preferably evergreen, moderately fast growing, max height about 20' minimum '10, low water once established and fairly dense because the new neighbors/children are destroying my sanity. I'll probably stagger two species.
Thank you for any and all advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Hedges to block NOISY neighbors

Welcome to sunny Arizona. FYI there is an active Master Gardener program here in Maricopa County if you're interested. cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden

For plant choices you might try:
Orange Bells - Tecoma stans hybrid
Hopbush - Dodonaea viscosa
Mexican Bird of Paradise - Caesalpinia mexicana
and of course the old standby - Oleander

Here's a link to a searchable plant database with photos and descriptions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Plants On Line

o

Here's a few more:

'Spartan' Juniper, 'Gray Gleam' Juniper, Cocculus, Xylosma, 'Seville' Orange, Mulga, 'Pride of Houston' Yaupon, or Mastic Tree.

: )

o

I have some Japanese Privots along my back wall that are great as a barrier. They grow quickly and do just fine in full sun. Those shrubs that you mentioned are alittle sparse to use as a "noise reducer", save perhaps for the Oleanders. Not sure I would want those growing in my yard though, unless they were the petites or dwarf varieties.

o

Green timber bamboo

o

I vote with phxplantaddict, BAMBOO

o

Orange Bells - Tecoma stans hybrid (frost tender, deciduous)
Hopbush - Dodonaea viscosa (evergreen)
Texas Olive (Cordia boissera)

Mexican Bird doesn't get tall enough to be useful.

A mixed border of Orange Bells and Hopbush with a couple of small trees (Palo Blanco, Desert Willow, Texas olive, maybe the white-flowered Mexican species of Bauhinia) would look less like a desperation hedge and more like landscaping.

If you plant them as 1 and 5-gallon plants and water them deeply and liberally the first couple of years, they will grow quite tall quickly. then you can taper off and they will slow down and be less greedy.

o

@trevorspop68

I'm interested in the Japanese Privots in Arizona. Can you comment on how yours are doing? How tall are they? Pros and cons?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here