Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this and do I need to worry about it?

Posted by toucan 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 20, 10 at 10:55

I found these red bugs with 6 legs all around my little cracked pomegranate. There must have been at least 20 of them covering the entire pomegranate which was the last one on the tree. Makes my skin crawl.

Does anyone know what these bugs are and if they are a threat to the plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: bugs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this and do I need to worry about it?

Actually here is the link that might work

Here is a link that might be useful: bugs on pomegranate

o

Perhaps assassin bugs? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduviidae

o

Typically leaf footed plant bugs love pomegranates. They have a piercing mouthpart that they use to sip fluid from the fruit. In the process they introduce bacteria that can contribute to sour fruit or spoilage.

This insect produces eggs that hatch into young that resemble the adults unlike other insects that have a complete metamorphosis (egg, caterpillar, pupae, adult). What you see are the immature plant bugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf footed plant bugs

o

well you don't really need to worry about them, but you do need to kill'em. nasty bugs! This is where you take out the big guns and blast them to kingdom come.

o

Thanks. The coloring on these bugs are red and black. The red was pretty bright too. They were about 20 of these literally blanketing a very small cracked pomegranate and when I touched the branch, some scattered, and thankfully didn't fly. I noticed that they might be sipping the pomegranate juice because some had drops of liquid hanging on their bodies.

Ok, I'll never be a real gardener. This stuff makes my skin crawl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here