Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
every1lovesjoey_

Best Fast Growing Tree to plant in backyard

every1lovesjoey_
11 years ago

I am seeking a fast-growing shade tree for my back yard in South Scottsdale, Arizona. Preferably I would like a weeping tree but I am not a fan of weeping Acacia. Does anyone have any recommendations on a tree that would give my yard some shade and be happy in full sun?

I am not a fan of the Sisoo tree either. Some trees I've considered are the Heritage Oak and Ficus Tree.

Comments (15)

• greyongray
    11 years ago

North Scottsdale here, and I have never owned or planted a weeping tree but wanted to put my $.02 that if you want fast growth the first thing that comes into my head is Desert Museum Palo Verde. Mine went from sticks to full trees in 3-4 years, and I wasn't even that great at taking care of them.

Have you looked at acacia saligna? There are some in my neighborhood... I can't remember if this is one of the acacias that people are quick to warn about. It is weepy though. There are tons of acacias, this is just one of many.

• every1lovesjoey_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your feedback. I might consider the Palo Verde.

I'm not a fan of the acacia varieties. They look too much of a desert tree. I know that's odd for living in the desert.

• every1lovesjoey_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your feedback. I might consider the Palo Verde.

I'm not a fan of the acacia varieties. They look too much of a desert tree. I know that's odd for living in the desert.

• greyongray
    11 years ago

Ah okay... then if you don't like desert trees the palo verde is probably off your list as well. Maybe look into the Evergreen Elm, they supposedly can grow to large size in 5 years. They looks great and aren't a desert species. Also not evergreen, the name is a misnomer.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Try a vitex agnus, aka Chaste Tree. It's a beautiful tree, not at all a desert tree, has pretty blooms every spring and it is deciduous. If you get a good specimen, it will be multi-trunked and eventually develop very interesting bark. It smells wonderful in the rain and you can make tea with the 'berries'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chaste tree

• every1lovesjoey_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do love the Chaste Tree. It's so beautiful. Does it grow big enough for adequate shade?

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Yes, it does. It benefits from judicious pruning and shaping, but it will develop a very nice canopy. One I have in my front yard is over 70 years old and, until it lost some limbs, it stretched over 30'. It is way past its presumed lifespan, but it is still a grand tree.

• every1lovesjoey_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some I've decided to add a Heritage Oak, Chaste Tree and a Carob Tree to my yard! I'll put the Heritage Oak in my front yard and the Chaste and Carob in the backyard.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Lovely choices!

• greyongray
    11 years ago

Tomatofreak, you are so lucky to have such a giant vitex! Every once in a while I will see one of amazing size when driving through north central and it knocks my socks off. Currently trying to commit to natives only but if I find a need vitex can fill, I might go for it... the olive trees need Mediterranean company after all. Do you have a photo album online?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:424227}}

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

I had some photos I took some time ago, but it's hard to get the whole tree in the shot. I'll try again to get new pics that show size somehow. When the trees are young, the bark is pretty smooth. It changes as the tree gets older and mine is now like alligator bark.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

tf, I still have the little pup you gave me years ago from your tree. It's growing - albeit slowly. You should know it's still alive though.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

You gotta tell folks that you live on an flood irrigated lot, girlfriend - that makes a HUGE diff in terms of how big your tree will grow - and how much it water & cost to get it that big.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

Oh! good point pagan. Probably why mine are just slugging along. The large one really needs more water than I've been giving it in summer. I forget about that tree because it's behind the pile of firewood we are trying to burn our way though. When I notice the leaves are curling in, the light bulb comes on and I give it a good drink. Poor thing, I'm a poor tree water-er. I planted these two in the olden days, before I realized what "a lot of water" REALLY meant. Now I know and have begun to focus on more xeric trees and plants. Well, except the veggie garden of course. Priorities!!

Folks, it's tomatofreak who's yard is on flood irrigation.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm on a flood-irrigated lot. However, if you water your trees when they're planted *as recommended* for whatever tree it is, they should grow well. I don't expect any chaste tree, irrigated or not, to grow as big as the ancient one in my yard. A few years ago, I e-mailed back and forth with a horticulturist (arborist, I forget?) at UC Davis. He was astonished at the age and size of the tree, so I do think this one is rather unusual. Regardless, chaste trees are characterized as 'fast' growers and make a nice, wide shade canopies.

Here is a link that might be useful: chaste tree info