Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
az_pamperedchef

Calamondin Citrus

az_pamperedchef
13 years ago

I have a Calamondin citrus tree that I planted in January and it's doing great! It's covered with small orange fruit ready for picking. So here's my question, what do I do with the fruit. It's fairly sour, but very pretty. :-) The tree is a cross between a Mandarin & a Kumquat. Anyone familiar with it?

Comments (10)

• azjoshb
    13 years ago

I've heard its mainly used for cooking. A man at HD told me he cuts them in half and puts them inside the chicken and bakes it.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Neat! I've had a variegated leaf one for quite a few years and would love to hear of a good way to use the fruit (I grow and use a ton of other citrus). I've sliced it in seltzer water and have used the rind in a pinch as a substitute for orange rind, but I'd love to hear more.

They're fun trees for sure. Here is a pic of some foliage and fruit on mine last month (embedded and at the link below).

{{gwi:424336}}

Let us know if you find a good use! :)
    Take care,
    Grant

ps: I love that you call it calamondin citrus instead of the misnomer "orange". I may mimic you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant's variegated calamondin

• turtleman49
    13 years ago

I'd love some bud wood off that Grant..

• az_pamperedchef
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very nice Grant! I read on the 'net that you can slice some up with cranberries for a nice sauce. I'm thinking of doing that for Thanksgiving.

• az_pamperedchef
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a photo of my Calamondin. Sorry it's sideways, but don't worry I didn't plant the tree sideways! It's about 4.5 ft tall. That is a lemon cucumber growing up the side.

{{gwi:424337}}

{{gwi:424339}}

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Yours looks great! Nice and happy and totally full of fruit! It looks like it's not on a dwarfing rootstock? Very pretty either way. Hopefully you or someone reading along will find a good recipe for them.

Turtle, just email me how to get you some bud wood and I'll see what I can do. Let me know the best time of year too.

Take care,
    Grant

• turtleman49
    13 years ago

With the shade houses and greenhouse I bud just about year around.. anytime you have your always welcome to come over and poke around, just call my cell phone before dropping by to make sure I'm here.

• Ivan956
    11 years ago

This is my little 15 to 20 ft calamondin.I'm in deep south texas by the coast and the property came with 2 of these trees, this is the biggest and has over 100 fruits on it now,i also wanted to know what else i can make with this fruit.i make calamondinaid now, but any other sugestions would be great. Ivan

• darthtrader
    11 years ago

Old thread, but no one's answered so I thought I would. My mom's Filipina and what's typically done is there is they make a lemonade type drink out of it. It's also used to zing up a savory dish, much like how we use lemon here to squirt on seafood.

• tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
    10 years ago

Calamondin is a common citrus plant in Asia like the Philippines where it is known as Calamansi. It used like we use lemon or lime in the US. I think that its closest relative is the key lime.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner