Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best roses for full sun area?

Posted by gumnebula z9 Gilbert AZ (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 24, 05 at 12:21

Happy Thanksgiving!

My husband and I are building raised beds for roses in the next couple of weeks in prep for the bareroots to arrive in the nurseries Jan/Feb. I know that roses perform best with afternoon shade during our summer months here in the valley, but those prime areas have already been taken by other plantings. Our backyard faces east, however the proposed area is on the far east side of the yard and will get sun all day (it faces a golf course so there's no block wall to reflect heat, just a wrought iron fence). Eventually the citrus trees I have planted nearby will grow to provide afternoon shade, but not for the next several years. Are there any roses that can withstand full Arizona summer sun if given enough water and following the recommended 12 month rose care guide provided by ARS east valley rose society?

I've read the posts for patricialynn's request for yellow roses and am checking out those roses right now. I am partial to orange, red and yellows (blends are beautiful too). I guess I like the look of a "full" rosebush, so I like floribundas and shrubs, although I am open to any type at this time. Oh, fragrance is preferred. One last question, do you think a Don Juan climber would survive in a location like that? He sounds lovely.

I plan to visit MCC to look at their rose garden, however, I was hoping to get suggestions based on other folks experiences. Thank you for reading such a long post and providing me with ideas!

-June

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best roses for full sun area?

Don Juan is a wonderful rose and can take most of what is dished out. I say go for it. You can plant your roses in full sun and most will do well. Summer can be a little tougher for those without shade, but they should still thrive. Most of what I have left after the Great Rose Exodus (I removed LOTS of bushes) are yellows and oranges that do get shade off and on all day, but would do OK without. Gypsy is a stand-out. Tropicana is good, Cajun Spice, Bronze Star, Sultry are some others that do well. These all make large full bushes.

o

Brandy is a winner for me. Once established in a couple of years.

o

If you have visited the West Valley just off of the 303 you will see acres of roses being raised for sale. May I suggest you visit Marbil Nursery it is between Litchfield and the 303 on Northern Ave just before the World Wildlife Zoo. They sell roses grown here which give them stamina when it comes to our Summers. Did you know there is a rose called Arizona? Give them a call and find out when their roses will be available....its worth the trip and their prices are very reasonable.

o

Thank you all for the great rose selections so far. I've been looking at online nurseries and have seen many of these offered for sale. Sometimes it's hard to judge a rose from a pic because the colors aren't exactly right. I will call Marbil Nursery and be sure to stop by - thank you for that suggestion, KK! Still looking for more ideas...
Happy Holidays,
June

o

Meet Don Juan;
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm with Judy, I love this rose!
Trudi

o

WOW - Don Juan is drop-dead gorgeous! He's definitely a winner and is one of my choices. Thanks for the pic!

-June

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here