Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gumnebula

best roses for full sun area?

gumnebula
18 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving!

My husband and I are building raised beds for roses in the next couple of weeks in prep for the bareroots to arrive in the nurseries Jan/Feb. I know that roses perform best with afternoon shade during our summer months here in the valley, but those prime areas have already been taken by other plantings. Our backyard faces east, however the proposed area is on the far east side of the yard and will get sun all day (it faces a golf course so there's no block wall to reflect heat, just a wrought iron fence). Eventually the citrus trees I have planted nearby will grow to provide afternoon shade, but not for the next several years. Are there any roses that can withstand full Arizona summer sun if given enough water and following the recommended 12 month rose care guide provided by ARS east valley rose society?

I've read the posts for patricialynn's request for yellow roses and am checking out those roses right now. I am partial to orange, red and yellows (blends are beautiful too). I guess I like the look of a "full" rosebush, so I like floribundas and shrubs, although I am open to any type at this time. Oh, fragrance is preferred. One last question, do you think a Don Juan climber would survive in a location like that? He sounds lovely.

I plan to visit MCC to look at their rose garden, however, I was hoping to get suggestions based on other folks experiences. Thank you for reading such a long post and providing me with ideas!

-June

Comments (6)