Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerprer

Annuals to grow from seed this time

gardenerprer
11 years ago

I wanted to know what all flowers we can grow from seeds at this time of the year. I did sow bachelors button, calendula and carnations 2 weeks back but that was just out of excitement I am having for this hobby nowadays. Seedlings have come now for them.
Was that a good idea to sow them this time? I started them indoor.. which now I think should have started outdoors only, it is still hot here.

Thank you!!

Comments (6)

• sundrop07
    11 years ago

You might find this calendar useful:http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1100.pdf We are having a really warm fall this year but many can still be direct seeded but right now for spring bloom. I really love all the poppies including orientals that do wonderfully here and reseed nicely. All the wildflowers can still be planted just water regularly till they come up.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Yup, this is a great time of year to start a lot of spring flowers outside. I just sprinkled several seed packets of California poppy around my garden two weeks ago (I already have a bunch but I like to supplement with some of the colors besides orange). They've already sprouted as have the self-sown ones from last springs blooms.

It's also a great time of year to sow desert bluebells (Phacelia campanularia) a terrific native wildflower with true blue blooms, and Shirley poppies, African daisies, calendula, and nasturtiums too. I soak nasturtium seeds overnight and then just poke holes in the ground and in pots.

The key for all of them is to give them regular water when nature doesn't. Let us know what you do, and how it works out!

Just for fun, here's a pic of some self-sown California poppies in my little garden this past late spring:

{{gwi:402317}}

Plus one pic of desert bluebells (Phacelia campanularia) too (with Wilson the tennis ball to show relative size). So fun--once you plant them you'll never need to do it again, LOL.

{{gwi:424466}}

Happy gardening!
    Grant

• gardenerprer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Sundrop07 and Grant for your response. I really need lot of help as this is first time I am doing gardening here.

These are great pics, Grant. Love them.
    I have made a flower bed and have snapdragons and pansies in there which I got from Lowes/nursery. Do I plant these seeds in there itself? I have pic uploaded, it might be small area right? I want lots of flowers :) I have places which are covered with gravel. Do I plant below them?

The other question I had was my seeds which I grew in the seed tray are becoming leggy.I'll post that pic also. I was keeping them in my south window wall but yesterday I kept them out but looks like I am loosing them in this much heat.So I was thinking how would they grow in flower bed if they are wilting right now in seed tray. I had calendula, carnation and bachelors button in there. Do we need to give them shade when I plant them in flower bed. My backyard is south facing.
    Sorry for so many questions.

• gardenerprer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bachelors button seedlings.. I think one think I did wrong was the soil was just half way through :( which might be causing them more leggy.

• thisisme
    11 years ago

Thanks Grant, I just ordered a bunch of desert bluebells seeds. Should I plant indoors first or just direct sow?

• sundrop07
    11 years ago

I'm not Grant but Desert bluebells should be direct sown (my experience anyway)and will reseed nicely every year.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz