Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sirjonny

Tree suggestion for front yard?

sirjonny
18 years ago

I have a sickly orange tree (on the right) which I'm contemplating removing.

If so I'd like another tree, but now have the option of planting it more out from the house. You might notice that I've killed the grass and am going with a more low-maintainance yard - so a tree covering the ex-grassy area would be fine. I'm guesing the spread area to be 20 ft.

As far as height, I'd prefer something with more of a canopy - not to tall, but not too low to the ground that one can't see the house (it faces West BTW). Finally, there's a very healthy orange tree on the left - so something that might complement it would be a good suggestion.

Here are some pics:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1512929

Thanks, Jon

Comments (27)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    18 years ago

Jon,

There's a good thread in this forum titled "Description of Trees for Smaller Yards....". You may want to search for that thread and check out the recommendations. You might also check the photos in the thread "Royal Poinciana in Phoenix Metro?" I will be planting a group of three of these in my very large back yard over this weekend.

GL, HTH.
    Mary

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

That spot has a Chaste Vitex tree written all over it! Or if you are going to convert it to desert, a Emerald or Desert Museum Palo Verde. I would go with one of the Paloverde's if I was you...as I recall, you do a lot of traveling, and they would require a lot less water once they are established, than a Vitex Tree would.

Easy

• azamigo
    18 years ago

An evergreen elm would be perfect for that spot-high branching, not extremely thick canopy but still provides lots of shade, very tough once established. Another choice would be an olive-classic tree for Phoenix/Scottsdale yards. Or you could plant another citrus-nothing compliments citrus like another citrus.

• sirjonny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks all. I love the Royal Poinciana - where can one buy one this time of year? I called Bakers and they start them from seeds in the spring, but then sell out.

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

Jon, ditch those trees and put in a pond!

18 years ago

Are the Royal Poinciana's water hogs too? [sigh]

• sirjonny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If I put a pond in the front yard then the neighborhood's dogs would have nowhere to poop (one of these days I'll catch them!). But seriously, wouldn't one need to put a pool fence around it? I'd hate for a nearby toddler to find his way into it and then find myself on the 5 p.m. news!

I'm not too concerned about the tree's water needs. I'm eliminating about 1,200 square feet of lawn, front and back, so my net water use should be down overall. And I still have to deep water the healthy orange tree. The main goal here is to eliminate the need for a mower, trimmer, weed & feed, etc.

• azamigo
    18 years ago

A Royal Poincinia would do beautifully-I wish more people that lived in areas warm enough in the valley would plant them. The question is what part of South Scottsdale do you live in. I mean years ago South Scottsdale meant south of Osborn, but who knows now days. Areas along the Indian Bend wash tend to be colder so if you're along Hayden for instance I'd stay away from the Royal Poincinia. The closer you get to Scottsdale Road north of Indian School the elevation gets higher and warmer (that's why they put the citrus groves there). As far as water goes they are not terribly demanding. You see them planted in Rocky Point in private gardens....many in the ghettos so I don't think the trees are being pampered. I'd say no more than a deep watering every 1 or 2 weeks in the summer once established depending on your soil. Bakers has some small ones for sale-that shouldn'd worry you since once in the ground they grow like mad. But I would wait to plant at least until late February-early March. The hot weather that they like is over and they wouldn't grow until then anyway-no point risking frost damage. If you'd like to see some established ones check out the East side of Civic Center Blvd. just before it goes under the park. There are a few that have been there for several years, seen some cold nights and still look great.

• sirjonny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks AZamigo,

I'm adjacent to 64th St, next to the Papago Buttes, and maybe a quarter mile to the Desert Botanical Gardens. Whatever grows there should grow here (then again I'm no expert nor have a team of dedicated experts, budget and mission plan doing what they do).

I'm growing more convinced to try a Royal With Cheese, if you pardon the movie trivia connection.

18 years ago

AZamigo, (and any other intereted peoples)....Baker's is all out of Royal Poinciana's untill next spring. Zero. Nada. I was there last Friday specifically to buy the last 2 they had but someone else scooped them up before me.

Jon, if you search this forum for royal poin you will find a thread started by Grant with some great pictures from Lee in Tucson. I like the third one down and hope to train my group of 3 Royals to grow into that umbrella shape.

Signed:
    Anxiously Waiting for Spring to Plant that Jewel

• azamigo
    18 years ago

Sirjonny,
    I'd say your chances are great based upon your location-that area is higher up and has great cold air drainage. They've been able to keep some pretty crazy stuff alive for a long time there at the botantical gardens and at the Phoenix Zoo-both very close to you. A Royal Poincinia should be no big deal. I'm also assuming that area is very rocky so you may have to water the tree more often to get it established-it is related to the common bird of paradise we see everywhere so keep that in mind with care.

• sirjonny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Is it now a bad time to plant anything? Just wondering. It's nice, but getting much cooler at night.

• azamigo
    18 years ago

It's a great time to plant trees that aren't frost tender. For most areas this excludes planting things like bougainvillea, hibiscus, palms, Jacaranda. Citrus CAN be planted this time of year and do better than trees planted in the spring unless you live in a really cold area than wait until March. It's still a great time to plant annual flowers like geraniums, pansys, petunias, ect.....the days and nights are perfect right now for them.

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

I have two Royal Poincinia seedlings on there way here. My plan is, on frosty nights to bring them in and place them in a south facing window, until all dangers of frost are past. Is it acceptable to do this for a plant (tree) intended to be planted outdoors in the spring? It being a seedling, should it be planted the first spring, or the 2nd. It is reported to be about 6 inches tall right now. One is for me, and one is for the Garden Club if they both survive :)

Alan

• sirjonny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I've tried just about everywhere (even online plant shippers) and nobody has Royals in stock... it seems as though one has to wait for seeds/babies in the Spring.

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

I purchased mine off ebay. Have you tried there?

alan

• marie5
    18 years ago

I get the idea that I will not be able to buy a Royal Poincinia until spring. I should have picked up the one I saw at Baker's a couple of weeks ago. Is it safe to plant it in spring or do you leave it in the pot and wait until the fall?

18 years ago

I recently spoke with Tom at Baker's, he is the person who begins the Royals from seed that Bakers sells. He said NOT to plant now, wait for warm temps in the spring. This tree is frost sensitive and it seems we have missed our 'planting window' for this year. He suggested that I keep the one I have (which is in a 5 gal container) on the patio until spring.

HTH.
    Mary

• marie5
    18 years ago

How funny I just got off the phone with Jim @ Baker's looking for this tree. He said he had some in 5 gallon pots. I was going to ask those questions when I went there.

18 years ago

Interesting. After first telephoning to confirm they had two 5-gallon specimens remaining in stock, I went to Baker's last Friday to purchase them. Alas, we scoured and searched, looked high and low, asked several people and no one could find those two remaining elusive trees. Good luck. I hope you find them and give 'em a good home. I have resigned myself to wait for the next batch. Let us know if you do find them. Am curious.

Mary

• Easygoing
    18 years ago

I just checked. Looks like she is all sold out on ebay too. I only paid $3 a piece for them. They just arrived this afternoon, and they are over a foot tall. I bring them inside on those frosty nights, and leave them on the patio otherwise. Also got two nice Asian Golden Rain Tree's (Koelreuteria) from her. Thought I might give those a try too. Two different colors. Yellow in spring bloom, Red in fall fruits. Anyone grown this? Laugh, its' probably here I heard about this one, but can't remember for sure! :)

Easy

Here is a link that might be useful: Koelreuteria

• turtleman49
    18 years ago

check your e-mail inbox SirJohnny, I replied to your last mail. we got 800 seeds in today so by the end of summer they should be well established... cross your fingers we dont get to bad of any kind of frost this winter, I'll keep them indoors untill early spring, hopefully by then I'll have the shade house done over the container growing area (14,000sf)

Anyone wanna help erect a shade house and green house???

It sucks trying to build a nursery from the ground up by yourself!!

• marie5
    18 years ago

Mary I went yesterday and was told no more Royal Poincinia
    until summer. I will start checking in the spring. I was hoping to hit the jackpot but no luck here.

Easy, who was it that you purchased your Golden Rain Tree's from?

• sirjonny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Guess who had a 5'8" Royal Poincinia hidden in a corner but looking for a home?

Tera.

Keyword: Had :)

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

Way to go Jon!!! :)

Susie

• marie5
    18 years ago

Congratulations Jon! I ended up with a Silk floss, Western Red bud, Mexican Orchard tree (which turned out to be white instead of red like I was told) And some tree that has the most beautiful red leaves!

18 years ago

Good catch Jon! I'm envious - nearly 6' already. Will you wait till spring to plant it in the ground?