Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
campv8baz

Winter is here!

campv 8b AZ
11 years ago

Well it has been a good growing season here in Camp Verde. Some things did great other not so good. This weekend we are expecting some really cold weather if the predictors are right. Therefore, I guess it is the end for my last growing tomato plant (pictured); everything else is gone with the exception of my spinach, lettuce and garlic. Time to put away the shovel, spade, and think about what I will plant next year and how I am going to do things a little different. I will miss the garden, but it is this time of year when I can take a break and reflect on how things did. For those of you down south that can still grow many veggies, good luck with your gardens. The fruit trees and grapes are loosing their leaves so it will be time for dormant oil and lots of trimming, so I will still be busy. Then I will be starting on the 20 or so rose bushes. Gardening is never really done!

Comments (13)

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

That's a tomato plant?!! Good lord in the morning. What a difference a little altitude and some decent soil make. I'd be tempted to build that rascal a house all its own and give it a heater. What is it, btw?

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don't recall the name I just save the seeds from year to year. They are golden pear shaped. This year I planted in the bean trelis to keep it under control. This tomato grows like a weed. If I planted in with rest of the stuff it will take over.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

That's a Yellow Pear, one of my faves, but I've never had one grow like that. Fabulous!

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

You don't live in Camp Verde either.... :-\

I have one too, just started to produce some fruit.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Hah! That's a huuuuuge tomato plant! I love it! Thanks so much for posting it for us to enjoy, and to envy. 'Yellow pear' is one of my favorites too and a true oldey timey variety. Yours is great!

My tomatoes here in the valley are just starting to set some nice fruit. I can't wait to take a bite!

campv, in your climate, will your spinach and things like Swiss chard (also a favorite of mine here in the Valley) survive for you?

It's fun to hear about all of the fun climates here in AZ, we'd love to see/hear more! Thanks again for the eye candy!

Happy gardening all!
    Grant

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grant My spanish lettuce and spinach will survive through the winter until I rototiller it in the Feb. That's when I add steer manure to the raised beds so it can sit for a few months before seeds. The lettuce/spinach seems to like a dusting of snow now and then. The big plus is no bugs!

Marymcp Funny how your tomato plant is just starting to produce fruit and mine will probaly be black and dead by Monday.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Awwwww......

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Thanks for the extra information, that's great you can grow the spinach and lettuce through the winter. Funny how we grow tomatoes in opposite seasons, but spinach/Swiss chard in the same seasons. Love it! Keep the fun updates coming.

Happy gardening!
    Grant

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

LOL - I know you'll think I'm a wimp, but I agreed with your forecast when I saw the thermometer this morning at 47�....brrrr! Wasn't expecting *that*!

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

UpDate- Well it happened just like I thought it would.
    We now have a black tomato plant from top to bottom. It got down to 26- 2 days in a row. We tried to cover it with a sheet, thought it might survive least up in the center but the temp just got to low too fast. In fact I saw damage on other plants that normally don't have problems. So we say good by to the last survivor of the summer season.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Ah, such are the wheels of life.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Such is compost....

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

P and T you are both tooooooo funny! LOL