Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant vines

Posted by xill none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 13:53

I searched the forums and Google, but oddly enough, i could not find an answer to this question. I'd like to plant vines along a trellis to extend the height of the fencing along the west side of my house. the vines would be planted on the inside (southeastern side) of the fence, but the top growth would definately be in the sun all day until my trees are a little larger. I'm leaning more towards the Pink Trumpet Vine (Podranea ricasoliana) than anything else. When would be a good time to plant them? At what point should I wait and plant them next year? I understand the cut-off time for planting trees is around Feb 1st.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant vines

Vines, for the most part, like heat. The link to info about your PTV says they are good to about 20F degrees, but do better in frost-free zones. Regardless, I think you'll find the nurseries don't have much of a vine selection till spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Podranea ricasoliana

o

My local HD has more vines right now than you can shake a stick at. Surprisingly they are varieties well suited to AZ too. Hard to believe the same person who ordered all those vines also ordered a whole bunch spring/summer vegetable plants too. Lowe's had a small selection of 4-5 vines while HD had 8-9 different vines. Lowe's had bigger plants while HD had mostly smaller plants. In the one gallon size HD's prices were a lot lower. A lot of the selection at both Lowe's and HD are chosen and ordered by the person who runs the department of each particular store. So selection can very widely from store to store. The store I go to is on the corners of Superstition Springs and Power Rd in Mesa.

o

I am never surprised by what I find in the big box stores. Sometimes the nurseries are just as bad. Just because they have them doesn't mean they will do well in this environment; you almost have to do a search on any you're interested in to see if they really do need "full sun" here in Phoenix, are frost sensitive *and* heat sensitive. I've lost a lot because I didn't know any better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here