Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xica_da_silva

The Devil's Triangle of Gardening

xica_da_silva
12 years ago

Hi all!

I've got this one spot on the north (shady) side of my house that has a habit of 'sinking' my African Boxwoods in record time...usually within 2 weeks! Even though I've tried amending the soil, digging out caliche for better drainage, lowering watering dramatically, it still doesn't work. Within a couple of weeks, the new replacement boxwood's leaves will first turn a dull green, then become super brittle to the point where brushing up against them will cause the leaves to drop.

In doing some research on the internet, I suspect I may have a case of phytophthora fungi roaming around in the soil, as I understand boxwoods are very susceptible to this. The thing that's tricky about it is, even though the inclination is to water a plant whose leaves seem shriveled and dry, watering just serves to hasten the demise! Apparently the water helps the spores 'swim' more easily through the soil so they can attack the plants roots. Bummer!

Worse yet, once a plant has been infected, and the soil is infected, they say 1) there's no way of curing the plant 2) it's really difficult if not impossible to decontaminate the soil from these particular fungi, so you can try replanting over and over, and even amend the soil, but eventually the spores will return and wreak havoc.

So, I'm writing this in the hopes of warning anyone else who's had the same problem...I've already spent quite a lot of money on Boxwoods, which are gorgeous but not cheap. Strangely, I do have two Boxwoods in the same planting area (each at the bookends of a row, each getting the most sunlight, and thus probably drier soil) who still seem to be thriving. Perhaps the thick mud soil has prevented the disease from spreading to these two Boxwoods? However, I do fear that eventually they will be infected as well.

Any gardeners hear of any effective miracle cures for this? Or, in lieu of that, a shrub type that doesn't mind damp soil?

Thanks in advance for any advice, comments!

Comments (3)

• AJBB
    12 years ago

I think your best bet is to either:

1. Plant something else, as you suggested. Japanese privet, natal plum, et al.

2. Dig out all the soil and replace it with store bought topsoil. Then cross your fingers. If you're still concerned about drainage, plant your shrub high.

• waterbug_guy
    12 years ago

Like AJBB said.

Death by fungus in 2 weeks doesn't sound right to me, but I'm no expert. With fungus I think more in terms of months and a slow decline. That the leaves turned dull green instead of orange makes me think of a water up take problem. Just to confirm...I've seen potted plants put into a hole and then drip put around the plant, beyond the hole. Clay soil soaks up the moisture but that well drained potting soil in the hole gets nothing and won't pull moisture from the clay. Digging up the plant can give some clues.

If you have your heart set on boxwood you could make sure pH is in the optimal range. However, a problem pH shouldn't kill them in 2 weeks.

You could place pots in their destination for a few weeks to see how they do. If they die in 2 weeks again I would guess not enough sun. Again, low light shouldn't kill them in 2 weeks.

Fix the drainage problem.

Buy the plants at the Home Depot or Lowes. You can return the plants anytime in the first year last time I checked. Doesn't matter the cause of death, no questions asked.

• xica_da_silva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks AJBB and waterbug guy!

Something interesting happened; we got a good inch of rain Friday night and it seems to have helped the ailing boxwoods a bit. Even though the leaves are still a bit dull and brittle, it seems the plant isn't releasing them as it was before, so this is probably a good sign. Maybe not the fungal disease as I had imagined.

Waterbug guy, perhaps as you suggested, it is a drainage issue that I'll need to work on to find just the right 'mix' of topsoil versus the natural muddy stuff.

Another thing: You're correct that the ones that are affected aren't getting sunlight due to being blocked by the larger established shrubs(which look fantastic!). Maybe the stress of being transplanted plus no direct sunlight is causing the problem...in which case, maybe it would be best to plant them during the spring when the sun starts hitting that area, so they can get established and strong prior to summer/winter. I was surprised by the fact that the one that got hit by the most sun during the summer(on the west side of my row of shrubs)seemed the happiest and healthiest during the summer, too. So I guess they do like a bit of sun!

Thanks for giving me some hope! I do really love the way they look when they are healthy!:)

Sponsored