Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
giving up on my queen palms

Posted by richsd sunset 13 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 14:45

I've finally given up on my queen palms the original owner planted in my yard (1993.) Ahwatukee. Only one looks good (the one in the most shade), even though I've given them extra micronutrients, etc. Forget about it... Funny thing is, a few of them in my neighborhood look fairly decent (and I mean a 'FEW'.) Not sure what they're doing, or if it's a micro-soil difference in play.

I have a Gleditsia (honey-locust) and a Pindo palm to take their places.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: giving up on my queen palms

Good for you. Those queen palms are not for here.

o

It's true - I think it's the Magnesium our soil lacks, or something else, dunno - but even the nicest ones I've seen here can't touch what they look like in other states.

Are you going for a tropical look or was that just what was there?

o

Good choice! They really do seem to require a lot of babying to look good here. There are plenty of other palms that love it here, so I agree it's better to get one that doesn't struggle here. Pindo is a great choice. I've seen so many clumps of queen palms where a Mexican fan palm seedling (Washingtonia) pops up and thrives where the queen palms struggle.

Keep us posted on your new babies. Thanks for the fun post!
Happy gardening,
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here