Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
N-Sulate 1.5oz Cold and Frost Protection Fabric

Posted by nutcr0cker 9B (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 15:23

Claims to protect plants by as much as 6-8 degrees. Anyone have any experiance with this in Arizona. Worth buying? Claims to be permeable but the question arises is if premeble. would it not allow the cold to enter? also claims to allow sunlight with no burns.

http://www.planetnatural.com/product/n-sulate-frost-protection/

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeWitt-Ultimate-6-Wide-X-Any-Length-2-5oz-Frost-Freeze-Cloth-Thermal-Blanket-/290995300438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c0abe856

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: N-Sulate 1.5oz Cold and Frost Protection Fabric

The 6-8 degrees is captured ground heat. You can reach the same goal using towels, sheets, cardboard boxes, or any other frost cloth. Just use them to good effect, i.e. cover plants as securely as possible all the way to the ground.

o

Frost cloth is supposed to be safe when in direct contact with plants as opposed to materials like sheets. I bought a bunch of the stuff a few years ago and 1) when the wind blows, it's useless, 2) when the temps drop into the teens for nights on end, it's useless and 3) when you don't anticipate a freeze and put the stuff over the plants, it's useless. I'd save my money.

o

So good post. I was just thinking I Ned's to get some frost cloth since it is now in the 80's. freezing days are coming very soon. My plants got burned last few years because I'm always too late in buying it. So what is the best or better frost cloth?

o

I like Arizona Bag Company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Az Bag Co

o

Thanks for the input. I ordered a small piece would see if it works

o

You're better off using towels and sheets (not as likely to blow away or become compromised), if the plants are small enough, though frost cloth is better for lightweight plants that can't tolerate much weight. Best protection of all for small plants is corrugated cardboard boxes, as long as rain is no concern. The corrugation provides excellent insulation and you're guaranteed maximum benefit from captured ground heat by a good, snug fit to the ground. You can get all you want for free from USPS.com.

Most large/larger plants are too difficult to effectively cover, IMHO. Just say no to large tender plants.

o

Almost anything works except plastic ... you just have to protect the tender leaves from the freezing air.

I bought some frost cloth because it comes in nice big pieces and I had a lot of chili plants to overwinter.

I make a tent thing out of saw-horses, 2x4s and king-size sheets and frost cloth ... weight the sides with bricks.

lay a string of outdoor mini christmas lights (incandescent, not LED) on the ground first and they provide just enough heat to keep things from freezing too badly.

o

My rule of thumb on frost cloth is half of whatever they claim. 4F would not be bad.

o

I've done some checking and measuring, and tend to get about 6F from plants covered snugly to the ground -- sheets, towels, boxes -- doesn't matter. Frost cloth, because it is so thin and light, is difficult to use toward the full advantage of a snug ground fit. More than once, I've awakened to find my efforts with frost cloth foiled by stiff winds, hence my general disdain for the material.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here