Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quotetheraven

Mulch and Garden path

quotetheraven
12 years ago

Hi, I have a couple of questions for the desert gardeners here. I have a veg garden, with raised beds, but peas, beans, vining stuff growing in the ground up a metal fence. After digging around in there, the ground is soft and I sink up over my ankles when it's wet, any ideas for a path covering that will help with this? And question #2, what to use for mulch in the landscape? Straw is out, have a pool and been there done that, had to buy a new pool motor..it's a wind tunnel here in my area of Casa Grande. Thanks for any and all suggestions..Steph

Comments (5)

• ra
    12 years ago

for path cover, try flagstones? for mulch I use the cheapest bagged stuff from the big box stores that i can find. I've seen some mulch at these stores that are colored, either red or brown and it comes in slightly bigger chopped up pieces of wood, so the wind doesn't really pick it up.

• quotetheraven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Raimeiken, I was thinking maybe the big bark would work..I tried the stepping stones already and my husband took them out..about the third time I tripped over them and ended up in the lettuce..I drag a hose around out there for the hand watering and the hose would get caught, then I would get caught, lol..almost 60 and my balance is not what it used to be. Hate to put in gravel, it's all over the rest of the yard, but have heard about the red river sand? Don't know if it would be enough with as muddy as the paths end up..or maybe pea gravel? I will go with the bark mulch though, thanks for the help..Steph

• plstqd
    12 years ago

We have the red river sand as a "path" in our front yard, and when we water, it's mud city. It gets soft enough to capture cat footprints from our neighbor's cat, and I have several pairs of shoes piled by the front door that are caked in it. We're actually planning on putting in flagstones among the sand to give us a firm surface for walking on when it's wet.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    12 years ago

Steph, Can you bury the flagstone so it's level with the ground and reduce the tripping factor?

You might try calling around to tree trimming companies, arborists, etc and see if they will dump a load of wood chips. This makes a very nice walkway cover and will eventually decompose. Key word is eventually. Not such good idea if you have a cat(s)....mine just loves to poop in it. Had to pull it all up.

• quotetheraven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for the help, guess it's looking like pea gravel after all..at least it won't be the big clunky stuff..lol..and a border to keep it from washing out into the rest of the yard..and then some flagstones buried a bit so maybe it actually won't be death by garden..I can see the advantages as well for my pots, just better drainage right? thanks again to all..Steph

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus