Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig Trees

Posted by wabikeguy 10 Western Az (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 15:46

My trees (Violette De Bordeaux, black mission, and kadota) are still putting out figs, and it's mid November.

Most of these trees were only cuttings this time last year. The Kadota and one of the black missions are two years old.

I have left the larger ones, but started nipping off everything smaller than a dime. And every week...more of the little guys keep popping up.

Is there any point in leaving them? Will they over winter and then ripen next spring? We are in Lake Havasu. Last year it only froze once for about 6 hours.

Also, the VDB's have all been very small. These guys are first year trees....could that be the problem?

Thanks...........Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig Trees

I was hoping that someone would answer this. I also have a young Kadota that is still making figs.
Since nothing was posted, thought I would just let it go and see what happened.

o

Some will make it and some won't. Closed eye figs tend to over winter better. This is because open eye figs tend to sour. This happens because an insect enters the eye and deposits yeast inside the fig. When the yeast ferments the figs sours and becomes unpalatable. During the winter the open eye is seen as a nice cozy place for insects.

o

I have the same problem, my Turkey Brown that was chewed to the ground by a dog last year is now about 5 feet tall and it has a bunch of figs on it. I sure hope they do ripen. I'm thinking of trying the oiling trick.

o

greendesert the oiling trick as you call it has its limitations. It only works on figs that are at the stage of development where they are just starting to swell or later. Also temperatures still have to be warm. My guess is you are fast running out of time as it will not be warm here much longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here