Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I stop water to all my plants and trees in winter?

Posted by shuss 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 24, 10 at 15:47

This is our first winter. The sprinkler is now set to 5 mins twice daily for all plants and lawn.

I have
Fruits:
Banana
Guava
Apple
Mango
Orange
Pomegranate
Pecan

Shade:
Fantex Ash
Chinese Pistache
Pine
HongKong Orchid

Plants:
Roses
Blue Juniper
Bouganvillae
Honey Suckle
Pittosporum
Arabian Jasmine
Oleander
Hibiscus
Italian Cypress

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I stop water to all my plants and trees in winter?

Just cut back to watering every 6-10 days as needed. Always keep in mind though....

Newly planted trees need their root systems kept moist (not wet) for a few months and that watering before a frost helps protect your plants and trees.

o
RE: Should I stop water to all my plants and trees in winter?

It's better to water less frequently and more deeply. Twice a day for 5 minutes is way too often, and not nearly deep enough, for almost any kind of plant. Established trees that go dormant in the winter will only need to be watered once a month in December and January. But they need to be watered deeply, down to 3 feet. Newly planted trees and smaller perennials will need to be watered more often than that, but 6-10 days sounds about right, and depending on the size of the plant, 6" to 1' deep. You may need to get a soil probe to tell how deeply you've watered, and how long it takes to get that deep. You push the probe into the soil and it will stop where the water stopped. I got my soil probe from the Pima County Ag. Extension during one of their open houses for $5. I was using a length of rebar before that, but it was a bit too thick and had no handle, so it wasn't easy to use.

--Maureen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here