Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hemolymph

Can you grow vegetables in Arizona?

hemolymph
16 years ago

Hi there, I am in zone 9. I am just wondering if it is possible to grow vegetables in Arizona.. and what vegetables do well. I am new to gardening and I am looking for vegetables I can grow in pots or planters as I only have a patio.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• Jeannie Cochell
    16 years ago

Yes, you can grow several different types of veggies here. Personally, I grow tomatoes, peppers and okra in containers. Mostly because I fear they'd take over the yard if given a ground spot of their own.

Friends and neighbors grow onions, radishes, sweet peppers, squash and lots of herbs. I haven't met anyone successfully growing carrots or sweet corn here in the city. Lettuces are often sold as container plants.

• growingup
    16 years ago

This question is a bit funny to me as I have grown almost everything common. Watermelon (which were awesome), pumpkin, basil, corn, cucumbers, green onion in the summer. Now, I have basil (still), green bell peppers, tomatos, pole beans, broccoli, cabbage, radish, okra, mustard greens, eggplant, artichokes, brussel sprouts. You can grow almost anything here. Actually, this climate is awesome because we can grow things year around. I live in Tucson so that may change things a bit, but I have had an awesome turn out. I find that things that stunted in the summer (mainly my artichoke and tomatos) are doing great now with the semi warm days and cool nights.

• jimdaz
    16 years ago

You can grow a lot of vegetables in the Arizona desert. The best guide I have found is from the U of A, Maricopa County Extension Office.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Planting Guide Maricopa County

• bubba33
    16 years ago

There are some books on the subject, sorry I cant remember the names. Try a bookstore or even ebay. You can grow many vegetables here. Good luck

• planitl
    16 years ago

This website will tell you what you can grow and when to grow it. It has everything you possibly want to know about gardening in AZ.

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Master Gardener

• adesertgardener
    13 years ago

I've been trying to grow some vegetables in Phoenix and I'm very glad to come up with this forum!
    I realize, even full sun vegetables need to be protected from summer heat.
    Do you think a tree shade would be enough or a shade panel is better?
    Also, I'm wondering if there's a natural vegetable fertilizer that I can use to speed up the growth?
    Thanks for your time and patience!.

• greenthumbjeff
    13 years ago

The key is to start plants early before the hottest part of the summer hits. This gives their root systems time to develop and prepare. If you try planting seeds or seedlings during the summer, they will struggle.

Shade isn't absolutely necessary, but it won't hurt. Either a nearby tree or shade cloth will work.

Some good natural fertilizers include fish-based fertilizers (Alaska) or blends (Fox Farm, E.B. Stone, Espoma).

• golipraveen_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

hi
    i need some information abt the seeds(shops) and the cultivation conditions i.e weather to cultivate water melon in summer or winter etc

• heyyaa1_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Here is a link for a place here in Tucson. Their Mission.....Native Seeds/SEARCH conserves, distributes and documents the adapted and diverse varieties of agricultural seeds, their wild relatives and the role these seeds play in cultures of the American Southwest and northwest Mexico. We promote the use of these ancient crops and their wild relatives by gathering, safeguarding, and distributing their seeds to farming and gardening communities. We also work to preserve knowledge about their uses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Seeds

• dottih777_msn_com
    13 years ago

My family and I have put in a garden and I got some blackeyed peas from Texas and wondering when to plant them. I know they plant them late in Texas , so the groung will warm up, but our ground is almost warm now.

• bucks
    13 years ago

Black eyed peas should be planted in the month of April in Phoenix.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

There's a very short list of what you can't grow or will be very hard to grow. Things like horseradish, salsify. Parsnips, strawberries and rhubarb are difficult.
    The tricky part is learning when to grow because some stuff is counterintuitive. That's where the calendar of when to plant comes in.
    You can cheat from that calendar a little if you create a microclimate with shade, warm walls, etc.
    Have fun!

• bucks
    13 years ago

I was rather suprised that Tracy would list Parsnips as hard to grow here. I mean she is on the mark in the fact that the tricky part of growing in at least the Phoenix area anyway, knowing the ideal month in which to plant what vegetable.I have done very well with growing Parsnip here. What may have caused you to say this is the fact that the shelf life of the parsnip seeds is really quite short, a lot like chives. I know by the second year of the seeds that I have purchased the germination factor has really dropped.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Please, I want the secret for parsnips! One of my favorite vegetables!

• azpost12_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

HOW MANY TIMES DO I WATER THE VEGETABLES A DAY IN AZ, AND WHATS THE BEST TIME TO DO SO?

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Emilie - It depends ...

What kind of "vegetables" are you growing, how old are they, and what kind of watering system do you have?

The answer also changes with the weather.

• rdazgardener
    13 years ago

If you come out to southwest Glendale and drive around you will see a lot of farms, it kind of reminds me of the central valley, where I am from, in California so, yes, you definitely can grow vegetables here

• aliikoa7
    12 years ago

I have discovered potato does well in winter here. Under a tree with a heat wall( southeast corner). My question is tomato, when and type. Thanks

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County