Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtoucan

What are you propagating now?

newtoucan
13 years ago

What are you propagating now. It's mostly fall everyone else, but time to grow here.

Just growing peas. My Rocky Ford melons went bad because I forgot to pick and now their seeds are sowing themselves like crazy right in the dark composting bin. I tried turning the compost over throwing more stuff on top of them, but they have even grown through that. I guess I'll start another crop of melons then, but don't know if they'll make it through the winter. They are the most delicious melons ever, beautiful vines, and so easy to grow.

Comments (3)

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

I've got so many wonderful blooms and growing plants in the garden now it's no wonder this is one of my favorite time of years. Warm days and pleasant nights......aaaah!

In terms of actually propagating things I've been taking cuttings of all sorts of "geraniums" lately (Pelargoniums): zonal geraniums, scented geraniums, succulent geraniums. I just cram them into a pot of soil outside and they root really fast at this time of year. It's a nice time to trim my overgrown scented geraniums and then start new plants from stem cuttings.

I'm also sowing seeds of Spanish foxglove as it loves to sprout at this time of year, and I'm planting a lot of nasturtiums from seed, and dividing oxalis etc and all sorts of goodies.

It's a fun, busy time of year. I usually start sweet pea seeds this time of year, but I think I'm skipping this year since I have so many vines right now, especially some experimental-for-me vines like butterfly pea (Clitoria which has been thriving) and Manettia cordifolia which has been covered in blooms every day since spring (and refuses to be propagated, GRRRR).

I'm curious to hear from our other members too! Below is a link to my garden pics from October if anyone is curious.

Take care,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from Grant's garden in October

• agility_mom
    13 years ago

Right now, I have lettuce, radishes and sugar snap peas planted from seed.
    As far as small new plants I have several strawberries and tomatoes in the ground but there are several types of herbs waiting to be planted.
    I am ready to try my hand at getting some small plants off of my Allspice. They are kind of rare and a couple of friends want plants.
    Then, I want to try to grow some ginger from some pieces that I bought at the grocery store just for fun.

Grant, what beautiful pictures! I have to ask you about your Hibiscus Sabdariffa. I saw this plant at the Maricopa County Extension Offices. They mentioned that besides making tea, you can also dry the flower buds. Trader Joes has some for sale in their dried fruit section. Have you ever tried drying the buds? How big does it get? Does it look good most of the time? What kind of exposure to sun can it take? Where did you buy yours? I haven't found out too much info on this plant so that's what is with all of the questions :)

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Thanks for looking at the pics! Glad you enjoyed. I got the Hibiscus sabdariffa plant as a seedling from Baker Nursery in Phoenix. It's been in full bore hot sun all summer and loves it. The plant is five feet tall by six feet wide (!!!) but could have been trimmed shorter. It gets water several times a week in summer and once a week at this time of year. I haven't tried drying the buds but I want to. I just don't know when to harvest them. The seeds pods are amazingly beautiful (shiny red) and have lasted for over a month and show no signs of stopping. The blooms are nice, but not spectacular--a small yellowish pink. The foliage is great! I believe it's an annual but truth be told it's my first year growing it. I should have tons of seeds this winter so if you want some, just email me privately (grant_in_arizona@yahoo.com) and I'll mail you some when they ripen.

I've also been taking lots of cuttings of my Jatropha gossypifolia plant too and so far they look like they're rooting (knock wood) as they haven't wilted in six weeks now. We'll see though!

Take care and happy gardening!
    Grant

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville