Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango tree from seed?

Posted by littleluey Zone 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 6, 09 at 16:47

I bought a couple of mangoes from the grocery store,
is it possible to grow a plant from the seed?
how would I do that?
will the fruit taste right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango tree from seed?

Sorry it took me so long to post, but I was hoping someone with more direct experience could answer it. I haven't grown one myself, but my neighbor did, and here's what I saw him do:

He planted the seed in April, about 1 1/2 inches deep in a 6 inch pot, with cactus mix for soil. He kept it by a south-facing wall, in full sun, and watered it every other day. It sprouted in about three weeks, and when it had 4 leaves, he started feeding it every 2 weeks with 1/2 strength fish emulsion. When the heat went over 105 degrees, he moved it to an eastern exposure, and I saw it more rarely.
After two years, it had grown about 4 ft. tall and wide, but then it died in that monster winter of 2006-2007. = ([

Hope that helps,
Kevin : )

o

Thanks Kevin for taking the time to answer. I decided agains doing this. I was told the tree may not ever beer fruit, which defets the porpuse of planting it.

Thanks again.

o

Yes, you can plant seeds. You will get a variety of quality of fruit from a seedling, but still the trees are attractive and the fruit may not be commercially the best but still good to eat. Some may grow fast others slow. I have one seedling that was in a pot for one year and just finished it's second year in the ground (total of 3 years old now) and it's only a foot tall.
Mango like partial shade the first 2 or 3 years until they get big enough to shade themselves a little, especially in the summer. You can use anything. One time I planted a standard tree stake in the ground next to the seedling tree, then tied an old umbrella to the stake so that it was shaded in the afternoon. Worked just fine.
Also gophers love mango root like no other. It's like cheese cake with a dab of raspberry on top. Use a chicken wire cage buried in the ground when you make your planting hole to protect it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here