Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb_in_bama52

where to buy nice houseplants in PHX

debbie
10 years ago

hey all,
I've been looking for begonias, micro mini sinningias, and African violets, and haven't had much luck. I've found AV at the big box stores occasionally, but no luck at all with cane or foliage type begonias, or sinningias. I called Bakers, who said they would carry begonias in the spring around Easter, so waited and called to see if they were in (since I live in Surprise), and the person told me they didn't sell them at all. Does anyone have a "special nursery" that I can check out? Summer Winds has some nice stuff, but not what i'm looking for. might have to order some on line. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks
Debbie

Comments (8)

• Houndhome
    10 years ago

Try calling Berridge Nurseries, they are located pretty close to Bakers.

• debbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks Houndmom, i'll check out Berridge.

• kevininphx
    10 years ago

I don't know specifically what type of Begonias you are looking for ( I don't know what a "cane" or "foliage" type of begonia is) BUT I do know that I was just at Bakers about two-three weeks ago and they had SEVERAL varieties of begonia - both outdoors in their annuals AND in their greenhouse.

Just a heads-up - I have never seen many of the begonia varieties I've seen at Bakers at either Berridge or Whitfill

• debbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kevin,
    i'm looking for rex begonias and angelwing begonias, and they are scarce here in PHX..LOL i'll have to make a trip to Bakers and Berridge and see what they have. There's not much info on their websites. I may have to wait till spring and order online. thanks very much for your reply.
    Debbie

• kevininphx
    10 years ago

Ah, I see - well I happen to know they had some angel wing begonia last time I was in as well as your typical wax leaf and some "rose" varieties with BEAUTIFUL rose-like blooms at Bakers!

I didn't happen to see any of those rex varieties (after looking it up on google!)

• debbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin, i'm gonna make a trip to both Berridge and Bakers when this rain lets up... I emailed Berridge, and they say they have begonias, streps and African violets... I might have better luck in the spring (another road trip! ha!). might find other plants I can't live without too. :-)
    thanks for your info.
    Deb

• debbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I made the trip to Berridge and Bakers. I bought a small violet at Berridge (about $3), its kinda droopy, might not make it...also got an ornamental pepper in a 2" pot. At Bakers I got several of the same small violets (2" pots, about $3 each) and a couple rex begonias and one angelwing begonia in 6" pots... think they were about $6 each. everything was in their greenhouse. Bakers said they get shipments about once a week on these 2" plants...i'm sure Berridge probably does too. so i'm a happy camper!!! Thanks for everyone's input.
    Debbie

• kevininphx
    10 years ago

I'm glad it worked out!