Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachelj8

Bulk Garden Soil for Raised Bed

rachelj8
13 years ago

Does anybody know where you can buy this in Phoenix where it isn't an arm and a leg?

Comments (57)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

rachelj8 where did you find the Cherokee purple tomato plant?

• rachelj8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Singh farms-they had a few heirloom plants - he is getting ready to greenhouse some though - and there wasn't a lot of them. It sure is a neat place.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I found this while looking for free mulch. Take a look.

If you read through the thread there are other posters who mention other places for free mulch too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Mulch

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Well I purchased seven yards of Sandy Loam from Pioneer Landscape Supply today. The cost delivered to my driveway was $ 243.00

I contacted azraisedbedgardens.com as azjoshb recommended to see if I could get a better price. The quote I received was $ 490.00 delivered to my beds. Thats $ 257.00 more than Pioneer charges to deliver to my driveway. My son can move that much soil in twenty trips with our garden cart. should take one man roughly two hours or less. Chris at azraisedbedgardens.com sounded like a real nice guy and I wish him the best. He said his soil is better and it may be. I just could not see paying that much more when I have a healthy son. Not to mention the soil I say today at Pioneer looked to be of excellent quality.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I will try and get a picture up after they deliver it. I may add a little blood meal and kelp meal to the planting holes and a little bone meal with the tomatoes.

Here is their description of the mix.

SANDY LOAM

33% screened fill dirt, 33% mulch, 33% manure. Sandy Loam is A great medium for vegetable gardens and other applications that utilize the warmth and micro nutrients of manure.

• SoilGirl7
    13 years ago

Well, AZ JOSHB. was right, Pioneer's soil does not look good. All I saw was manure, fill dirt and a little mulch. It looked like great soil if you had a low spot in your yard. It was the cheapest, but not quality. The soil is the main ingredient of any garden and to put this soil in your garden would be a mistake! I did give Chris a call from AZRAISEDBEDGARDENS. We met at the Lowe's on Ellsworth & Southern and he had a giant trailer full of soil. He scooped some up into a small container for a sample. He was on his way to a job so I didn't want to slow him down. When I got home I did a quick examination of the soil and was quite impressed. It looked like a bag of expensive soil that I would pay $8-10 for a small bag. So I called him and ordered 7 yards just delivered a few days ago, Feb.24 and he was right on time, pushed the buttom on his fancy dump trailer and it all slid right out. Thanks AZ JOSHB. for the referral. The cost of this soil delivered to my home was $395.00 and was well worth the extra money. He also brought me six heirloom plants for free just as a appreciation for the order. I now have my first heirloom plants. They look awesome! Here is some names: 1. Aunt Ruby's german green tomato, purple tomitillo, long red cayenne pepper, one green grape, kellogs breakfast tomato and habenero pepper. Don't buy cheap soil, you can buy cheap lumber, you can use free recycled materials to build your garden, but don't buy the cheapest soil!

• thisisme
    13 years ago

SoilGirl7 When I spoke to Josh I told him about this thread. Interesting to see that you just joined today and that this is your first and only post.

So true that the Sandy Loam that you did not see at Pioneer does not look like expensive bagged garden soil. Its not bad soil though and admittedly probably not as good as what Josh sells.

It rained hard last week and then dried and the soil from Pioneer was still soft and resembled the Sandy Loam soils I remember from Northern California. It is not dark with all the Peat in it like bagged soil though. If I could afford it I would have ordered from Josh. As it is if I had it to do over I think I would have still ordered from Pioneer. I would have ordered differently though. I would have ordered 5-6 yards of Sandy Loam and have them mix in 1-2 yards of their Mulch Mix into it just to increase the percentage of organic matter. Their Mulch Mix is a 50/50 mix of composted manure and composted leaves.

• azjoshb
    13 years ago

thisisme, I am not the one selling the soil, Chris from azraisedbedgardens is. He may be more expensive than pioneer, and who's to say which is better. As long as your veggies/plants grow well, who cares. All I commented was that his soil "looked" better. If you can get soil from pioneer for half the price and the plants grow the same, I say go for it.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

azjoshb forgive me. I said Josh in the post above when I should have said Chris.

Keep in mind. I have not yet grown anything in the soil I purchased from Pioneer. If the soil does not work out trust me. I will be here saying the soil stinks or needs to be amended in some way. As it was I went with what I could afford and it looks pretty good. I just don't want anyone feeling like they should not start a garden if they cant afford soil from Chris at AZRAISEDBEDGARDENS. His soil may be the best. That does not mean there is no other soil sold in Arizona that you can garden in successfully. In fact I'm reasonably sure there is at least one or two successful gardens in Arizona the owners of which have never even heard of AZRAISEDBEDGARDENS.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

Singh Farms - $40 for a front loader scoop into your truck. NEC of 101 and Thomas, Saturday mornings only. Good stuff, you can ask for the sifted material if that's your preference, not sure of pricing on that product, I usually get the non-sifted.

HTH.

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

Only $30 per truckload at Singh

• SoilGirl7
    13 years ago

I'm sorry Josh got attacked by thisisme. I wasn't aware I should check with thisisme and ask if it was ok for my first post to be about soil. I did not buy my soil from Josh, I bought it from Chris at AZRAISEDBEDGARDENS. I noticed in thisisme's post that he got a price on the soil, delivered to your beds, not just dumped out onto the ground. That is a unfair comparison. Did you check on how much the soil would have been not delivered to your beds or did you just want someone to do your labor for free and now your upset. My beds are made of recycled concrete chunks that were free on craigslist so I could afford the best soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: soil for raised bed gardens

• thisisme
    13 years ago

SoilGirl7 I asked Chris for a quote delivered and not brought to the beds. The price was roughly $ 160.00 more than Pioneer. I'm retired on a fixed income. I simply did not have enough money to buy the soil from Chris. I don't expect anyone to work for free which is why I purchased what I could afford and moved the soil myself.

Since becoming a member the entirety of your posts have been in this thread promoting Chris and his company and defaming one of his competitors. In this thread I have said good things about Chris and his company even though I did not purchase soil from him.

As for Josh; I was not attacking him. I simply had a brain fart and used his name instead of Chris's for which I apologized immediately when my error was pointed out. I have not attacked Chris or his company or anyone else. The only attacking being done is your attack on Pioneer and on me and I do not see an apology in any of your posts.

If I had a truck or more money I would have more options in life. Sorry for being poorer than you. I didn't mean to upset you by posting about another soil option that is so obviously below the standard of the company you have come here to promote.

• SoilGirl7
    13 years ago

THISISME, In your first posting you said the soil was $257.00 higher, but in you other posting you said it was roughly $160.00 higher. I'm confused how much was it really? When I find a company I like I always let people know. I'm in no way profiting off of any recommendations if that's what you are implying. This topic was bulk soil. You were definitely promoting Pioneer with your posting and link to their website so I will do the same for azraisedbedgardens. Just to clarify when I talked to Chris about soil he never defamed or talked badly about anyone elses product. I looked at Pioneer's soil and azraisedbedgardens soil and bought what I felt was the best product. As far as an apolgy I don't owe you one. No hard feelings. Good luck with your garden. I will leave it at this. People do your own research and purchase the soil you like the best. Ps. If I was rich I wouldn't of used recycled concrete to make my garden beds.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

SoilGirl7 I believe the original question of the poster was "Does anybody know where you can buy this in Phoenix where it isn't an arm and a leg?" Not sure how we got from there to here.

Chris's price was $ 160.00 more than Pioneer to my front yard and $ 257.00 more to deliver it to my backyard. Not to hard to understand. I did not say Chris defamed Pioneer's product I said you did. So don't imply I said Chris did unless you're Chris.

By the way I have heard good things in other posts about the soil from Singh Farms. Not sure if this is where Chris gets his soil from but he did say it came from a friends farm. If it is then his delivery price alone is $ 185.00 to my front yard and $ 280.00 to deliver it to my backyard. I'm not saying he is not worth it. I'm just saying I can't afford and the original question is basically where can I get it at a good price.

Pioneer will not put the soil in my backyard beds. But to deliver 7 yards of soil to my front yard was only 40.00. At Pioneer with an order of 10 yards or more my delivery would have been free. So 10 yards would only be $ 270.00 and thats not an arm and a leg.

Funny how you say I posted a link to link to Pioneer. I also posted a link on where to find FREE MULCH delivered to your home. You managed to post two links too. Both to Chris's site. So why did I post that. Well I guess for the same reason you did. Just to further shed light on the subject.

• rtl850nomore
    13 years ago

BTW I heard Singh Farms is now selling garden soil. I haven't verified that myself but if anyone is in the market and has a truck it would be well worth checking out.

• rtl850nomore
    13 years ago

Just to clarify, Singh Farms previously offered compost only...really, really, good compost. This soil offering is new for them.

• azbookworm
    13 years ago

Luck and Angels were watching over me recently. My spouse was in a great mood and we went to Singh Farms this past Sat. Got a truck load. After unloading too many wheelbarrows to count, my raised garden is beginning to take shape.

Truck is 1/2ton. 2 big tractor fulls to fill bed. Cost us 80 bucks.

Sweat and elbow grease = Free!

A great weekend!!

• dorothyroeder
    13 years ago

SoilGirl. Could you describe those recycled concrete chunks? Where did you get them? Are they still available? I didn't find anything like that on Craig's List.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

dorothyroeder what you are looking for comes up on Craig's List 1-2 times a week.

There is some listed today.

All you have to do take them and give them a new purpose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Concrete Chunks

• SoilGirl7
    13 years ago

dorothyroeder,

These were from a broken up sidewalk that came from a demolition company. It was a mix of dirt and concrete chunks of different sizes. Some were large and we were able to break them with a large hammer. These were about 4 inches thick. A great use for something that might end up in the landfill. Good luck with your garden.

• ra
    13 years ago

anyone know if Singh Farms deliver? because I have no truck to carry the soil :(

13 years ago

No on the delivery but they do sell it bagged.

• ra
    13 years ago

how much is it per bag and how big are the bags?

• azbookworm
    12 years ago

It is that time of year again. Adding a couple of raised beds.

THISISME? - How did the Pioneer Sand Loamy Mix turn out for you last year? Would you recommend them?

Please advise.

Thanx!

• AJBB
    12 years ago

Thisisme put out a discussion thread a few months ago to show off the success of his garden beds. They put out a ton of vegetables.

• thisisme
    11 years ago

azbookworm I was not posting for a few months around the time you posted and missed your question. The biggest problem we have had with our garden is not having enough time and energy to pick and process ripe fruits before they spoil.

Yes I would and will recommend Pioneer. Their price was the lowest delivered price we could find and their product was very good.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden pics

11 years ago

I second that opinion. I've used Pioneer at least twice and have been very happy with the results.

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

Not happy with Pioneers sandy loam. It compacts into hard chunks.

• thisisme
    11 years ago

toucan, how are you watering? Tell me it's not with a hose. I have drip irrigation and after two years it's still very nice soil.

11 years ago

Same here (with thisisme) again. Did not have that experience although I *do* mix it with some native soil to extend the investment. The soil in my beds is still fluffy and it's been 2 (or maybe 3 years in one bed) since purchase. I sometimes water with the hose but that is supplemental, usually a drip.

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

if i can add to this, i know its old but we just went to the dump on gilbert and the beeline highway and and they will load you up with FREE mulch, they do ask that you call and make an appiontment, but after the first load i didn't call again and everything worked out just fine

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

I am watering with drip. Other parts with a hose. What I don't like about it is that it is full of mud. After the recent rain, you pick it up and it is gloppy, not fluffy. Drainage is not good. I have 6 inches of sandy loam on top of the native clay soil.

Some of the extra sandy loam, I put it in pots to store and even with holes in the pot and some gypsum mixed in, the pots do not drain. There are inches of stagnant water sitting on top of the sandy loam. So the name " sandy loam" is a misnomer.

• thisisme
    11 years ago

I don't know what to say toucan. What you have sounds more like what they sell for top soil to me than Sandy Loam. I don't water with a hose at all and don't walk on the Sandy Loam either. Doing so can compact any soil.

11 years ago

Maybe the guy with the front loader picked up from the wrong pile by mistake.(?) It's weird and I'm sure sorry for your troubles. It sucks when you've worked so hard and had good intentions. Saw a story recently about someone who had been getting manure from the same relaible source for some time. Last time they got a load all their plants started dying. Turns out the farmer had forgotton he had wormed the horses and the manure was full of the de-worming medication. They lost so much, it was heartbreaking to read about.

you could take a sample to them and ask if it's sandy loam or topsoil. If they made a mistake they could/should correct it. just an idea.

This post was edited by marymcp on Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 18:17

• thisisme
    11 years ago

Yep, Mary is right. This kind of stuff does happen. Today I received a $ 100.00 tree in the mail I did not order. I called Clifton's right away. They are going to send the right tree It'is expected to arrive by Saturday.

I'm not saying that it's for sure the wrong soil. IâÂÂm just saying that mistakes do happen and that the soil you received does not fit the description. Nor does it conform to the experiences of other forum members. Something is definitely not right. It does not sound like you received what you paid for.

• PleatherR0se
    11 years ago

http://deserthorizonnursery.com/
    This is where I got mine.... my raised garden bed is 36 sq feet and 1 ft tall...60$ and they filled up the back of my truch... I have enough for two + garden beds...

• vamarcy
    11 years ago

Does anyone have suggestions for good bulk soil for delivery in the Tucson area? (actually, east of Tucson in Vail). We'll be in the market soon, and as a newcomer to AZ, I haven't the faintest idea where to start looking. Thanks!

11 years ago

Pioneer lists four locations in Tucson/Casa Grande

Here is a link that might be useful: Pioneer Landscape Materials

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

So I tried Pioneers Sandy Loam 2 times now. It did not work well for me at all. Gardeners world soil was excellent, but I see they are closed now. Any other ideas besides Those mentioned above. I have no truck.

10 years ago

What happened with the sandy loam? For best results all compost type mixes that are purchased should be combined with native soil. I do not believe they are designed to be used completely on their own. I added a lot of my own compost plus I just turned into the ground where the raised beds sit.

• ra
    10 years ago

I've been mixing my own soil and getting good results. since the sandy loam from pioneer is just 1/3 native soil, 1/3 sand, and 1/3 mulch.

This way I don't have to get rid of any dirt that I dig up. I just get sand, and mulch from pioneer sands and also add some compost to it as well.

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

Way too much clay in their sandy soil.

• ra
    10 years ago

just add more sand and compost.

I've also noticed when I went there to get some of the sandy loam, it didn't seem like it was well mixed. The area I was digging from was mostly sand and mulch. That's why I went in the route of just mixing my own.

• Desireea3
    10 years ago

I don't understand it sounds like you guys are spending a lot for soil delivered you can get cheaper at home depot. Someone posted they got 7 yards for almost $300. I get 7 yards compost at home depot for $56 and 7 yards soil for $56. Then 4 bricks of coconut coir from Amazon for $44, vermiculite for $20, azomite $30, worn castings $ 8, and manure for $14. This fills my two 4x4 raised beds 5 totes, and numerous pots for $228. Are you sure your getting a good price or am I missing something? Oh and home depot does military discounts so I get a discount this goes for retired too.

• ra
    10 years ago

are you talking about bagged soil? because I don't think HD sells soil by the bulk. And we're talking about yards here not feet.

7 cubic yards of soil is about 189 cubic feet of soil. And if you're buying bagged soil or compost, each bag you can get there is between 1-2 cubic feet, which would take at least 90 - 2cubicft bags to get 7 cubic yards of soil.

8 years ago

Too bad he's in Mesa. I'm nearly in Glendale.

• Pumpkin (zone 10A)
    8 years ago

I tried to get some at Singh's the other weekend--I was soooooooooooo disappointed. I saw no such compost or soil available.

I'm driving to CA to pick up a carload of mulch my grandfather made for me. I've decided that's just simpler than finding it locally.

• Fascist_Nation
    8 years ago

Hey, you are driving to go see grandpa. Coming back with the compost is just Grandpa's way to confuse the drug dogs at the Border Patrol station.