Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pygmy Palm Help

Posted by eener AZ (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 07 at 19:04

I am new to Arizona and am having many challenges with my plants. First the frost last winter was hard on everything and then while we were gone this summer, most everything got too little water. I have been watering a lot for the past six weeks, but my palms continue to have brown dying leaves - I thought they would have shown some recovery by now. How much water do they need? I did trim off some of the leaves that were totally brown, but I don't think too many. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pygmy Palm Help

Pygmy palms are slow to recovery. They may not look good for 6-12 months. You can't over water these guys when it is warm. I water mine every three days in the summer. I have two that I put in my pond and they do great. I do remove them in the winter as I am not sure they like it that wet when it cools off. I may leave one in this year to find out.

o
RE: Pygmy Palm Help

Make sure you are giving them palm food. Also when we had last winters freeze, I gave my palms Superthrive from spring all through summer. They now look fantastic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here