Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piranhafem

Adenium care questions

piranhafem
13 years ago

I found some great info by doing a search on past posts, but I still have some questions.

I just inherited a fairly large adenium arabicum from a friend who is moving. It's close to 3 feet tall. I know some people bring their adeniums inside for the winter, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. I live in Marana and last winter we had a LOT of freezes. Will my adenium surive OK if it's under the carport, or will I need to also cover it or use a heat source on frosty nights?

{{gwi:421990}}

--Maureen

Comments (6)

• agility_mom
    13 years ago

It is a beautiful plant.

I would bring it in or at the very least, cover and use a heat source. I have 2 but they are not as big as this one. A couple of years ago, I made the mistake of leaving mine on the patio and thought it would be ok since it was supposed to be a "light" freeze. While the freeze didn't kill them, it sure killed the branches and now I have 2 smaller plants than what I used to have. It has taken a while but they have finally started to really grow well again but they still are not as big as they used to be.

• piranhafem
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Agility mom. I think you've convinced me to bring it inside for the winter. I figured out a place I think it will do well. I really tried to cover my frost-sensitive plants last winter, but several times we had a freeze when the weather forecast said it wouldn't, and I had a couple of jasmines frozen down to nothing. I can't bear the thought of this adenium getting damaged like that!

I also inherited a big, gorgeous ponytail palm, and now I'm worried about it, too. Not sure if I can find room for both of them in the house!

• runs_with_scissors6
    13 years ago

OMG! I would never take any chances with one that big! Nice score :) Bring that puppy inside definitely.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

I've also heard that you should not water them AT ALL during winter months. They are dormant and will rot.

I agree with the Runner.......good score [Hello Runs.]

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Beautiful plant! I love it. I grow quite a few adeniums here in Scottsdale and I would say if you get frequent frosts your best bet would be to bring it inside, at least on nights where you've got a frost warning. If you go on vacation I'd bring it in while you're away too. They can take some chilling but they really will get damaged by a frost or freeze. I would leave it outside as much as possible as long as you're above freezing--if you bring it indoors all winter and keep it warm and happy it will grow a lot but the growth will be spindly and weak, and it's hard to keep them dormant when they are warm and happy inside, so I keep mine outside all winter EXCEPT on nights that a frost is predicted (I've been luck lately as I haven't had a frost in almost three years, but I'll still bring them in if one is predicted in my area).

Mary is right as usual. If they drop their leaves in winter give them NO water until they leaf out in spring again. If they keep their leaves in winter you can give it a tiny drink maybe once a month, but rot is the biggest issue with them in winter.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Grant

• piranhafem
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well crap, now I'm torn again! I'm afraid that if I don't bring it inside permanently for the winter, I won't have the discipline/memory/forecasting ability to bring it in just on nights it's going to freeze. But I also don't want spindly growth. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks Mary, Runs, and Grant. I was pretty psyched when I saw it. :-)

--Maureen

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor