Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda Grass and Sheet mulching

Posted by Sophia.O (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 19:18

Hello all,

I am new here and new to gardening, I have been a serial houseplant killer up until (hopefully) now.

I have what I believe is bermuda grass patches in my backyard, which is hard packed clay dirt (like most of AZ). I want to sheet mulch, but have been told not to do it until I get rid of the bermuda grass. My whole point in wanting to sheet mulch is to bypass the hard work of digging, tilling, etc. Do I really have to get rid of it? Any advice on what else I can be doing? I planned on doing raised beds and not even bothering to ammend my soil, but I'm finding I want to try now because I ordered fruit trees that will be going in the ground in January, so I would like to be able to plant on my ground around them as well.

Thanks to you all this is such a great forum!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda Grass and Sheet mulching

Most of us are resigned to dealing with Bermuda for the rest of our lives. This recent thread explains a lot. However, the short answer - if you don't want to deal with it forever - is to get rid of every smidgen of it you can find and destroy. And - whatever you do - don't water it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bermuda discussion

o

If you put sheet mulch over the bermuda, it will begin to thrive and spread.

If you till the Bermuda, it will spread.

You need to kill it before you plant things, or battle it forever. And it's a bit late in the season to be killing it. Spend next spring and early summer killing it off and make your gardening plans. Then next fall you can plant lots of stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to kill Bermuda Grass

o

Thanks Lazy! I'll start your recommended regimen next spring/summer. I'm down to just a very few isolated spots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here