Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering this time of year

Posted by Iggy Z9 Surprise AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 19:50

I live in Surprise and I have my drip system set for 15 minutes every other day. Excluding my trees is this enough for small vines, flowers and cactus?

Thanks
Iggy in Surprise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering this time of year

Iggy -
That is far too often, and way too little. You are never getting the whole root zone wet. And you are watering all your plants as if they had the same needs. They don't.

Cactus need a thorough soaking a couple times a year if they are natives, maybe as often as a couple a time a week in the summer if they are not AZ natives.

Vines? What kind?
Flowers? What kind.

You are better off watering for an hour or more, every 7-10 days, for actively growing plants.

o

If your landscape is new, you'll need to water more often than for established landscapes. Here is a link to a watering schedule for both.

Here is a link that might be useful: Watering schedule for established and new plants

o

Thanks aztreelvr. I taped the schedule to my refrigerator. Very helpful. sam

o

• Posted by Hoku1 8/Tucson (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 27, 05 at 10:37

I have established plants and large potted plants on the same drip system, so it is harder to find a schedule that doesn't waste tons of water and still get as deep as it needs to be. Someone suggested using 1/2 gallon drippers for the pots and 2 gal drippers for the plants. I think I read a while back not to use different size drippers on the same line. What do you all think?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here