Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glendale_gardener

Help Identify flowering shrub/bush - sweet smelling

glendale_gardener
10 years ago

Hi All,

I'm new here, but I've been enjoying searching around the AZ forum. New to the Glendale, AZ area, but lived in Tucson/Marana when I took this picture of a plant I fell in love with.

The plant had an amazing herby/minty smell, almost like cat nip but sweeter, multiple blue-purple blooms that grew stacked on a single stalk, so to speak. They grew to be about 3 to 4 feet in height. I thought they could be some form of lavender or flowering sage (leaves had a similar grayish-green softness). I wish I had a close up of the leaves, but I only have this one image -- thought the flower growth pattern might help in identifying.

I loved these plants, their smell was intoxicating and really familiar, but I could never place it. I admired them every day, but never knew what they were, any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Love to add them to my new Glendale garden.

Thank you!!

Comments (14)

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

Purple sage? It sure looks like a sage. This site has lots of photos and info so hope it helps you figure it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: salvia leucophylla

• glendale_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, you have it. I googled purple sage and found the images. I kept thinking it had to be a sage, but I had never seen one like it before. Thank you!

• aztreelvr
    10 years ago

This is Chaparral Sage (Salvia clevelandii). It usually blooms in May and its leaves are very aromatic. I've heard of some folks using the leaves in cooking, but a little goes a long way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chaparral Sage

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

a little goes a long way.

Yeah, I can attest to that. Two friends and I went plant shopping in Tucson one year and I *had* to have that plant. Ye gads, we were nearly asphyxiated on the way home. And then I killed it. Death by water.....grrrrr.

• glendale_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the info and, aztreelvr, very helpful link, much appreciated!

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

LOL @ Mary and treelvr, a little DOES go a long way, hah! I love chaparral sage too, and you''re right, Mary, too much water, especially in summer, will kill it quickly. My established plants only get watered every other week in summer and once a month in winter. Fun plants, and fun discussion. If you get one Glendale_gardener, keep us posted! Happy gardening!

• every1lovesjoey_
    10 years ago

Where in the valley can I find these? I can't seem to find any.

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

They're usually not too hard to fine, joey. I'd call Baker Nursery and Berridge Nursery, both in Phoenix to see if they have them. They both almost always carry them. Big Box home improvement stores sometimes have them too. I got mine at Baker. Let us know if/where you find some and if you get them plus how they do. Happy gardening!

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Hiya Joey and all,

I ended up stopping at Berridge Nursery yesterday (Nov 16th) and they had three chaparral sage in 5 gallon containers and like 6 chaparral sage in one gallon containers (I think those were like 7 or 8 dollars).

Happy gardening all,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Berridge Nursery

• every1lovesjoey_
    10 years ago

I'll be taking a visit today! Thank you Grant! You are so kind and thoughtful! I appreciate you for that.

Joey

• glendale_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For those of you in the North or West Valley, I found some at Summer Winds on West Bell and some at Desert Gardens Nursery on Cave Creek. I got some today and I'm hoping they'll flourish. Also picked up some Valentine Emu bushes, excited about these too.

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Fun updates all, especially about sources. My one tip is to really, really only water them barely enough to stay alive in summer, LOL. Get 'em established now and in summer water them once a week at the most, once every ten days is even better. I do love the scent of that foliage! Happy gardening all, post updates on how yours do for you!

• glendale_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great insight Grant, thank you! I finally got two into the ground and just HAD to plant two Valentine Emus too (and a new Chitalpa tree)â¦and some some flowers for my pots, and a succulent basket that we just had to have. LOL.

But truly, thank you for the advice. Love your posts! Happy Thanksgiving.

GG

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Awesome, GG, awesome! Congrats on the new plants. We'll want lots and lots of pics, posts and updates. :)

I give my Eremophila (emu bushes) about the same water regime too, by the way.

Happy gardening all!
    Grant

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths