Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese Tallow and other north/south trees?

Posted by wildflowermama (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 07 at 21:18

Hi all! I'm in Mesa and we need to plant one tree in our front yard (north exposure) and two in our backyard. I went to the nursery and got some non-committal answers about what would be best to plant. We decided on a Brazilian Pepper for the front (north) yard and a Sissoo and Chinese Tallow for the back (south) yard. I'm reading some concerning things about the Chinese Tallow in other parts of the country (it's very invasive) but I'm not reading anything about local issues. The chinese tallow was attractive to us because of the size and brilliant fall foliage.

I'm just wondering if these are the best options? I have lots of room and am wanting a lot of shade for the back yard and more contained for the front yard. The trees would be on a drip system and very close to the grass which has a sprinkler system so they will get plenty of water.

We have children and a dog if that makes any difference.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese Tallow and other north/south trees?

Ok, the trees are in - we switched the Chinese Tallow for a Chinese Pistache.

But, now my question is that the trees have been taped to a stake. All my neighbors who had trees planted had two states next to the trees with a ring in the middle (looks like garden hose) around the trunk with room for the trunk to move and grow. Is this right?

o
RE: Chinese Tallow and other north/south trees?

All of those trees are extremely problematic in other parts of the country. I repeat, all of them.
Try to find a different garden center.

If these plants come from a large national grower and they become popular in one place, even if they are not invasive there, they'll get shipped out to other places where they are a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here