Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glendale_gardener

What is this? Chitalpa tree issue (help please :)

glendale_gardener
10 years ago

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving Eve.

I'm hoping one of you wise, experienced gardeners can bestow upon me some of your hard earned wisdom :) We have a new Chitalpa planted this fall. Yesterday I saw this (see pict) on the leaves.

I also noticed a similar issue on the leaflets of our palms, but it covers the entire leaflet, almost like a hard water stain.

Could this be the result of overwatering? Or white flies (I found info online that seemed (from my novice eyes) to possibly point to this.

I'm new to a lot of aspects of gardening (I LOVE plants, but I've mostly lived with established, desert/native plants and focused on either house plants, "accent plantings", or container gardening as my hobby). I don't have much experience with garden pests/diseases or being able to identify these types of issues, so I thank you in advance for your help/thoughts/wisdom.

Thank you,

GG

Comments (10)

• judy_b
    10 years ago

It looks like it might be mealy-bugs. They're a scale insect. You can do a google search for info on how to treat a heavy infestation. I used alcohol when I found them, just touched them with an alcohol-soaked swab but that would be time consuming for other than occasional ones.

• glendale_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you judy b for the response. Hmmm, some of the pictures and info about mealybugs seem close, but I haven't seen any actual bugs so its hard to identify.

Here is an image of our palms (definitely seems is a scale issue and some of the "white stuff" looks a little fluffy, but more scaly over all. I'll upload another picture of the tree. The white 'stuff' is covering the veins, and it looks like the vein has brown spots under the white.

We're new to this house, so the palms haven't been under my radar as they probably should have been, so from the looks of it, this is an issue that's been going on for a while.

Thank you again for your help!

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

I found this in DG' Plant Files: (GW won't allow me to name this site, it's blocked. I tried to post a link to the plant files but cannot.)

"I love mine. I thrives real well. I see many in Vegas where I live but unfortunately they are all very leggy, I prune mine usually before the winter or before the growing season (about 1/3) and it always comes back much fuller and denser looking. I end up doing all my neighbors Chitalpa trees after they saw mine become so fuller. It gives plenty of shade because of it. Growth is fast too when pruned. Trunk looks good with barely a few tiny vertical cracks which are hardly noticeable. It sits on the same drip system as my other plants and gets plenty of water in the heat of the summer. It also loves fertilizer. Year after year it grows healthy, full/dense and lots of flowers. Last but not least, every year just before the growing season I use an annual tree insect control. Bonide or Bayer. Before when I didn't the leaves were populated with insects. Since I've been using the tree insect control my trees have been insect free"

Maybe you should just prune it back and let it regrow next year. Also, add some fertilizer next spring/summer.

• judy_b
    10 years ago

marymc probably has the right idea. They do get leggy and trimming, judiciously, could get rid of most of the insects. The damage does look like mealy bugs can do, insecticide would stop that.

• judy_b
    10 years ago

Also that kind of damage - stippling of the leaves - can come from white flies or spider mites. Have you noticed either of these? And mealy bugs do tend to congregate on veins of leaves. That's where all the good juices flow.

• glendale_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Mary and Judy for the insight! Sorry for the delay in my follow up.

The chitalpa is a newly planted tree (planted as a 24" box tree), just put in this past October, so would I'm hesitant to trim it -- not sure what's worse, trimming a new tree or the pests attacking it? Its also deciduous, so I'm wondering if the eventual leaf drop will help the issue?

I have a feeling that the palms might be the root of the pest issue in the yard. I have an orchid tree without any ill effects and lots of other bushes, flowers, etc, but the chitalpa is the closest to the palms, and perhaps being newly transplanted, it could be more susceptible??-- I haven't seen any bugs despite my close inspection, but the evidence does exist. To be on the safe side I might research the insecticides you mentioned, Mary (thank you for the research!) -- We did have an issue with spider mites on a couple indoor plants when we first moved in (I'd thought they came from a newly purchased plant, but maybe they were already here). Spider mites are nasty little buggers.

Thank you for the help! Much appreciated! My plants thank you too :)

• richsd
    10 years ago

I don't have anything to add re: the possible insect problem. But like the cut and pasted paragraph states, I noticed a lot of these trees in Las Vegas- much more so than here in Phoenix. In fact, the ones I see in my area start to look kind of stressed by late summer.

• aztreelvr
    10 years ago

I wouldn't prune your tree for at least a year. Because your tree is new its probably trying to adjust to its new environment. Chitalpa are sensitive to the salts in our soil and water and the brown leaf edges could be a symptom of that. As you mentioned, its getting ready to enter dormancy and the leaves you see will be shed soon. Water deeply and infrequently and next spring I'll bet your tree will be fine. Wait till spring to fertilize too.

I'm not so sure about your palm(s). Do they receive any water from sprinklers? That can leave salt residue on the leaves. Palms normally have sort of a waxy coating on their leaves and leaf petioles (stems). The underside of your palm leaves seem to show this. They look pretty normal to me.

Here's a link to information watering your landscape plants. Page 14 has a schedule for newly planted things and the inside back cover for established plants. Page 9 will show you how much water to apply depending on the size of the plant.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Watering by the Numbers

• glendale_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you aztreelvr! I so appreciate your advice and knowledge. Yes, the palms are planted close to grass and most likely get hit with overspray (which must explain the grey color/deterioration of the trunk nearest the grass). How obvious now ;) Thank you for the insight and I'll definitely address that over spray.

Good news is there are a ton of gorgeous, mature chitalpas in my area, so I'm hoping things will work out.

And thank you for the link, I've seen you post it in the past and I had already bookmarked it. Great info.

Best,

GG