Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy mushroom

Posted by piranhafem 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 22:17

I checked the fern/lichen/moss/mushroom forum and it's dead in there, so hopefully I won't get in trouble for posting this here...

I found the craziest mushroom in one of my tree wells today. It's an oak tree (don't know the species) with a fairly heavy mulch of composted chicken bedding, i.e. pine shavings full of chicken poop. Has anyone seen one of these before? Anyone know what the heck it is? After doing some googling I'm going to guess it's a "false truffle" of some kind. It was a little smaller than my fist.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

--Maureen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy mushroom

You don't say how big it is, but it looks very like the stinkhorn "eggs" that they form underground in damp mulch before they break through the ground.

o

My last sentence was, "It's a little smaller than my fist." Tennis-ball sized, roughly. I will keep an eye out for a stinkhorn, but this thing was above ground, not under the mulch. The whole bulbous fruiting body was exposed. I thought it was a rock at first, then for a second I thought maybe a rotting potato had escaped from the compost bin!

Thanks for the reply, I had given up hope. :-)

--Maureen

o

Sorry I didn't pay enough attention to what you wrote.

Whatever you have looks yukky.

o

How about a puffball?

o

Hmmm, maybe... I stepped on a lot of puffballs back east when I was a kid, but never saw one like this. I'll look into it, though.

o

I'm not well versed at all in mushrooms (other than harvesting chantrelles in the Pacific Northwest) but I did want to say that this is really fun to see, so thanks for posting it. Let us know if you find a definite ID. Neat!

Take care,
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here