Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_k_gw

Hiding ugly chain link fence

joseph.k
13 years ago

I live in Tucson near Harrison and 22nd St.

I am seeking a vine or narrow shrub that will hide the ugly 4 feet high chain link fence between me and my next door neighbor. I do not want to plant something that will be overly invasive to them.

I also need it to be able to take full sun and not freeze back in the winters. The fence is on the east side of my house and is in full sun most of the day. The fence is 80 feet long.

I would like to be able to plant lower shrubs and flowers in front of the fence cover but stay withing a three feet limit away from the fence (I have a walkway to consider.)

Suggestions most welcome.

Comments (10)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

Ladybanks Roses.

Before - Aug 2006{{gwi:425613}}

13 years ago

After July 2008

{{gwi:425614}}

• thisisme
    13 years ago

marymcp I love what you did to your yard. From what I've read though it can be invasive. I have no experience with it so I can't say if it would be or not here. A lot of plants that are invasive in other parts of the country are not invasive here. Our heat has a way of keeping a lot of invasive species in check.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladybanks Rose

13 years ago

No, it is not invasive. However, it can become a very large bush(es) if allowed to grow unchecked. Invasive, at least to me, means it has runners that will go all over the place. Bermuda grass is invasive. Bamboo is invasive. Some plants reseed themselves aggressively, these are invasive. Asparagus fern is hugely invasive.

LB's will stay where you put it, but it is fast growing and can become bushy. My DH keeps it trimmed with hedge trimmers. In spring the hedge is COVERED in small white roses. No scent.

HTH.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

marymcp I've seen pictures of what LB Rose's look like in bloom. Your yard must look like a little piece of paradise.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

She has way too many Lady Banks Roses there. 1/3 the number would have covered almost as fast. They are aggressive growers, but in a situation like that, make lovely green fountains.

The "not freeze back - if deciduous is OK, climbing roses would work for you. They might lose their leaves, but will leaf out again when it warms up.

13 years ago

au contrare....not too many. We really like the way it came out.

We cannot let them get too fountain-like because of trash pickup along the alley behind us. If the canes 'touch the mirrors' on the drivers truck, we get a warning to clip.

The hot tub is now located right in the middle of the above pictures and we are very happy with the privacy that hedge provides. To each his own. That's just how I want it. Thanks for the iput though.

Happy gardening!

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

Passion fruit

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

'Lady Banks' rose is the first thing that came to my mind. They come in a yellow and a white form. The yellow is sometimes called the 'Tombstone Rose' as it's the famous rose growing in Tombstone, Arizona (it is the world's largest single rose plant by the way, and fun to see if you're down there (yes, they sell rooted cuttings of that exact plant)). 'Lady Banks' roses are one of those plants I call "house eaters" as they can quickly engulf a small house if kept watered and unpruned, LOL.

Mary, the end result of your planting looks great. Did you tie the roses to the fence at all early on? Lookin' good.

Like folks mentioned, they'll need frequent pruning once they get large, but they prune easily and have a neat non-rose look to them.

Let us know what you select and how it works out!
    Take care,
    Grant

13 years ago

Yes Grant, tied to the chain link fence at first. Then just left to its own devices.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz