o
Manzanita

Posted by marylou_gardener 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 07 at 23:43

Will the Manzanita grow in Zone 8?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Manzanita

since manzanita always seems to occur at higher elevations, I would suspect it is at least partially elevation dependent?

o

That has to be the strangest thing I've ever heard.

Marylou, a quick search showed me that some manzanitas are hardy to zone 8. You may want to research different species and pick one that best suits your growing conditions.

o

By "elevation dependant" I meant that in my explorations of Arizona I have seen certain plants like manzanita only growing above , say 3000 ft elevation. It may be a specific soil need or day temperature need that occurs naturally at the desired elevation range. That is not to say it can't be grown elswhere with like conditions

o

I live in Benson, AZ. Does this help? I've seen them in the Chiracahua's which is much higher elevation. Our night temps in Dec & Jan range from 15 deg - 25 deg. Thanks.

o

I don't think manzanitas need elevation, what they need is a certain amount of moisture (the higher you go in AZ, the more precipitation, in general, so there you go).

In California, manzanitas are common in both the coast range and the Sierra foothills. As you go north into Oregon and Washington (more moisture), they become trees rather than shrubs. In Washington, there are many in the Seattle area, which is essentially at sea level.

There are many species with varying needs. See the link attached for more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manzanita info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here