Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onap1

Shade AND Sun in Phoenix

onap1
9 years ago

So I'm looking for some ideas. I have a spot on the north side of my house (about 20'x30') that's in almost full shade from mid November to mid February, but it's in full sun through the hot summer months. It kind of an odd spot that doesn't really work for much, but I thought I could plant it to make it a little less ugly. However, I have no idea what to put there. So I'm open to any suggestions you may have. I would prefer to grow food, but it's really more important that it will live.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

I'm assuming you live in Phoenix...

I used to look at the north side of houses as "shade" because, well, it is. But I was over thinking it. I finally noticed lots of homes in my neighborhood have front yards facing north and they have all kinds of plants not considered shade plants. Since then I've rethought this shade thing.

There is a difference in amount of shade. A house blocks direct sun, but there is still reflected light. Where as in a dense forest there's heavier shade.

I would say the north side of a house in Phoenix is light shade. For a one story house that only extends maybe 6-8' from the house and then you're in full sun.

From what I see in my neighborhood, plants that take full sun do fine on the north side of homes. If anything I think the small level of shade increases the kinds of plants that would not just live but do better. So my list would be any plant you can find in any local nursery will do fine.

Food crops are a little different. Less sun is less growth, less produce. They still grow. Almost any place in the world people will say vegetables don't grow in shade. And they're right, not just because of light but also reduced soil temp.

Phoenix is a different planet. Here shade is likely to extend your growing season. You may get less growth but for a longer period before the heat and low humidity stop growth. We are always right on the edge of a plant doing well or dying. Moving a plant 12" can make a huge difference. So imo it's not really possible to say for sure plant X will live or die in a spot until you try it. But I would not be afraid to try any plant on the north side of a house.

In fact, "shade" plants like ferns, impatiens, etc., are likely to disappoint you.

The list of plants that don't do well in light shade is shorter. Bermuda grass is the only thing on my list and it would still grow, just not as well as other turf grasses. I'd still put Bermuda in the mix and let the turf decide for itself where the line of best growth is (and it moves throughout the year).

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    9 years ago

I don't have any specific example, but definitely think deciduous is the way to go. If the plants lose their leaves and go dormant through winter, lack of sun shouldn't matter. How about Pomegranates?

• onap1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow. Thanks a bunch. I suppose I do some experimenting to see what works.

GermanStar, you are spot on with what my gardening friends at work have been saying. I'm thinking I may put a dwarf peach on the short list.

Cheers.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz