Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sources for rain lilies and/or spider lilies

Posted by plstqd 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 11 at 8:07

I am working on a low water use garden, and have become intrigued by these two plants. I'd love to include them somewhere in my bed, but I've never seen them at any local nurseries to my knowledge. I found a couple of sources online, but their shipping times don't really suit our planting times (one of my frustrations for living here!) so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone knows of a local source.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sources for rain lilies and/or spider lilies

I couldn't find this guy's ad for the lilys but I've gotten them from him in the past and he may have some left. He's in Tempe, this ad is for dates which are very good by the way. His phone no. is on the craigs list ad:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/grd/2731991076.html

o
RE: Sources for rain lilies and/or spider lilies correction

Sorry that link didn't work,

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/grd/2731991076.html

his phone no. 480-838-5874

o

They sell Rain Lillies @ Treeland Nursery in Mesa.

o

I'm a huge rain lily fan and grow a ton of them in my garden, since, as you said, they don't need to be attached to life support (drip irrigation), LOL. Almost every nursery in the Phoenix area sells rain lilies, including most big box hardware stores, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding them. If you like more obscure/new varieties, check out the Plant Delights Nursery catalog/website. I've purchased several new hybrids from SE Asia from them (love their catalog contents, HATE the catalog covers, LOL).

McClure and Zimmerman, the great bulb company also offers rain lilies and various spider lilies in their catalogs too. They have some neat subtropical bulbs which thrive here, although you'll have to weed through a lot of cold winter spring bulbs too.

Let us know where you find them and how they do for you. I'm already looking forward to updates!

Take care,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delights Nursery just search for Zephyranthes

o

Thanks, everybody, I appreciate the help and information. That fellow in Tempe is actually very close to me, so I may check with him to see what he has to offer.

Grant, I had no idea there were so many hybrids available -- now I'm going to have to make my space bigger so I can fit all of the ones I'm drooling over into it!

o

Hey Grant, do you have yours planted in full sun?

o

Hah, well, I'm an enabler. :) All of my rain lilies are in full, FULL sun and love it. I grow a lot of Hippeastrums (Amaryllis), Crinums, and other subtropical bulbs in afternoon shade. They've all done really well.

Dont' forget "Carribean lily" too (Scilla peruviana, don't ask, LOL), it's a wonderful spring bloomer that disappears for summer and makes those amazing, AMAZING, blue blooms! Mine are up and growing, but won't be blooming for another month or two (and full sun for these too). Here's a quick pic from last spring:

Take care and let everyone know what you get, from where, what you do with it, and how it works out.

Happy gardening!
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here