Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houseful_gw

Hello (plus a question)

houseful
10 years ago

Now that most of my house remodel is complete, I am anxious to resume serious gardening!

I can pretty much propagate any cactus successfully. I do have trouble with most shrubs unless they are in just the right spot (obviously, :D ) Lantana has always done well for me though.

However, this summer I lost about 4 lantana that were previously thriving. I also was unsuccessful in planting new ones. They got plenty of water. I do not use a drip, I use a hose on a slow drip for 24 hours twice a week in summer. I can only attribute this to soil conditions, but again, they were thriving at one time.

I know many people don't like lantana anyway, but I love their color.

Any ideas on what went wrong? Should I give up on lantana and try something else?

I know one thing...I must spend lots of time on this forum!

Comments (8)

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

I detest lantana, but I've got it, I *never* water it (in summer it gets flood irrigation once every two weeks), and I cannot get rid of it! I think you are drowning it.

• Laura81
    10 years ago

I am a huge lantana fan too. That being said I can't seem to grow them at all. They stay little and skimpy looking. No answers for you.

• cms_az
    10 years ago

I too have had lantana issue. I planted some new gold lantana, purple and a one confetti lantana at the end of spring. The yellow and purple have done great but the confetti never grew and is barely alive. I don't know why the confetti has never taken off. It is watered and I fertilized this summer. If it does not have new growth in the spring, i will replace.

• houseful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tomatofreak, I've heard others say how much they don't like it. Some think its over used. Any other colorful shrub suggestions for mostly all day sun?

I don't think I'm drowning it because they usually turn yellow first if you do that (I think). II have never used fertilizer and I have some in the front yard that are thriving. The best I can surmise now is poor location. So I am going to try to transplant the puny ones and replace them with cactus.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Did the remodeling crews dump stuff on the lantana? Park on them?

Also, maybe the remodel changed the amount of light they get in that spot.

• houseful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No definitely none of the above, but good food for thought!

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

I think there are many plants that take our summer sun without blinking - much. I have duranta, Sweet Memory, that's out in the sun. I don't have ruellia, but it does well. Both are in the purple family as blooms go. Lots of sages and cassias bloom profusely. If you have xeriscape, how about brittlebush? Or mallow? I'm sure you'll get more suggestions. Now if only someone could tell me how to get rid of the lantana in my yard. :o)

• houseful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd would dig up that lantana for you! ;)

I have brittle bush everywhere from seed. Love it!

I have a wild mallow under an ironwood sort of in a wash that thrives, but they don't do well for me otherwise. I spread penstemon seeds and they do so well, but only bloom in spring.

My orange jubiliee are beautiful, but too big for most locations.

I will keep trying!

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting