Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marymcp_2

Fountain Grass as a Privacy Hedge

I'm thinking of planting fountain grass as a privacy hedge along one side of the hot tub but am concerned about invasive-ness. Should I plant several in a row in large plastic nursery pots sunk in the ground? Or would it work to dig a trench lined with heavy mil plastic to control them? Anyone have experience with planting fountain grass? Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks,

Mary

Comments (10)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

What species are you talking about? "Fountain grass" is used to describe several species, some good,some bad.

And what lighting does this area have?

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the post Lazy....Full sun, clay soil. I'm amenable to any species. I love the way the grass looks and the location for this hedge will have the sun setting behind it some times of the year and that can be very pretty. Mostly I just need a quick growing privacy hedge that will not get out of hand, low water would be nice. We recently had to move the hot tub due to a major plumbing problem, the new location is great for star gazing but leaves us a bit exposed, if you will pardon the pun, expecially getting in and out so the hedge should be at least 6' tall. 8' would be better. The row of hedges should span 12' to 15'.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

The tall grasses tend to be bushy at the base with tall seed heads, not much for privacy. And they take several years to get a good plant established.

How about a bamboo or reed fence for starters, with a trellis and an evergreen vine for long-term solution.

Original Author
    14 years ago

I would love a clumping bamboo - black would be very nice, but when I last priced bamboo it was expensive. I'm thinking of the trellis and evergreen vine as a good alternative too. Mexican Flame vine? Jasmine, especially for the fragrance. Bower vine for sheer resiliance.

Anyone familiar with Coral Honeysuckle? (lonicera sempervirens)? Claims to be a "hummingbird magnet".

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

Mary, the fastest growing non-oleander hedges are Japanese privet, and purple hopseed (4 ft. a year for both). Remember that with shrubby hedges, the faster they grow, the more often you will need to trim, later.

The fastest vine on a wire fence is snail vine (20 ft. a year), but it's pretty frost tender. The fastest hardy evergreen vine would be Hall's Japanese honeysuckle (15 ft. a year).

I take it that you come from a colder climate, where the taller varieties of Miscanthus are often used for quick screens. Unfortunately, it's just too hot here to keep most kinds of Miscanthus happy, and the few that work are all dwarf.

Kevin : )

• judy_b
    14 years ago

Hi MaryMcp,

I think bamboo is so expensive is because it is extremely slow to start, and once it does, it quickly outgrows its container. We found that it took about 5 years to get a nice stand going. Way too long for what you want.

I didn't have much luck with coral honeysuckle. Died. Almost any vine will take a couple of years to establish, so I'd go for the reed fencing in the meantime.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks folks for some good info. Looks like I'll go shopping for a reed fence for now. Then maybe some Hall's Japanese honeysuckle....it's a good hummingbird magnet too. I really appreciate the input.

On a side note, I just ordered three Arizona Gardening books: one Mary Irish, Gardening in the Desert: A Guide to Plant Selection and Care (my 3rd MI book); Extreme Gardening by David Owens, I 'reviewed' this book at the library and think it'll be a great resource; and finally Pruning, Planting and Care by Eric Johnson which I think someone here (lazygardens?) recommended. Mary should be able to help me select a good vine if I decide on something besides the honeysuckle.

Thanks again to all for the information.....and happy holidays. May the coming year bring lots of garden delights to all - and to all a good year!
    Mary

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Definitely look into hop-bush. It a vertical grower, likes heat, not frost tender, and dense.

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

Hiya Mary and all,

Your new books sound great--let us know what you think of them. I've got several MI books too (love "Agaves, Yuccas and Related Plants") but not the one you mention.

I've really, really been enjoying 'Palm Springs-Style Gardens' which is by a woman who lives in and gardens in, Palm Springs, so almost all that she discusses and photographs is relevant for us here too. She totally "gets" that distinction between what grows in Los Angeles and what doesn't once you cross east of Banning, CA. Anyway, your new books sound fun.

And definitely let us know what you select for your privacy. I like Mexican flame vine, but it sure can get zapped by cool weather. I'm a big fan of hopseed (Dodonea) as it really does grow quickly, is immune to our weather (since it's native) and doesn't need much water when established.

Fun post/discussion and replies. Thanks!

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Palm Springs Style Gardens (book)

• waterreed_yahoo_cn
    12 years ago

We are Youngsun Reed Limited, the leading manufacture of water reed in China. Our main products are water reed, reed fence, reed screen, willow fence, bamboo fence and so on. Our products are so environmental, eco friendly, artistic, beautiful and comfortable that they have become the best popular choice in the world. With more than 10 years? experience, we can supply 1,000X40HQ containers to the world every year. We can supply high quality products to you on a favorable terms and conditions.
    We are expecting to reach our mutual benefit together through our cheerful cooperation.
    Phone: +86-543-3809697
    Fax: +86-543-3809698
    MSN: waterreed@yahoo.cn

Here is a link that might be useful: Youngsun Reed Limited

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!