Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Blueberries

Posted by samk_fruit (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 12, 08 at 11:14

I am thinking about planting blueberries in a container and was wondering if anyone here has tried it and share their experience about how to get that done successfully, one thing I read about blueberries is that they like full sun however, that's not for Arizona so I am not sure what that mean for Arizona.

I live in Chandler, AZ (phoenix metro area)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Blueberries

Blueberries need an acid soil as low as 4.5 so that problem has to be addressed first. Second, they fruit on second year stems and produce rhizomes that send up new stems. This habit requires a very large pot so you can have a yearly crop al-abate small. I don't think the time needed or the cost is worth it, but thats frugal me.

o

Blueberries do very well in large pots. Just make sure to pamper it with watering and keep it safe during the summer. I would recommend a soil mix with peat moss and amend with some PH lowering soil additives. For the mulch I would use pine needles or cocoa mulch.

o

I've tried it, without much success (yet), and will probably try it again. The first plants I picked up while standing in line at Home Depot, that might have been my first mistake.

Large pots are a definite must, and the use of pine needles for mulch will help with the acidity. Mine survived the summer just fine, but they had afternoon shade and got hit with water from the lawn sprinklers. I actually killed them with too much water in winter.

Would love to hear what varieties you select and how they fare!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here