Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agility_mom

Deciduous Fruit Trees

agility_mom
13 years ago

I am planning on planting a small orchard and I was wondering if anyone has any fruit trees that perform well for you. It can be a mix of dwarf and standard sized trees. There are so many to chose from!

My area is around 50' X 110'but I want to put an enclosed garden and a small greenhouse in the area too so I have to be thoughtful in my choices.

Comments (16)

• turtleman49
    13 years ago

There's hundred's that preform well here. What type of fruit's do you like?

• agility_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What I am looking for are stone fruits like peaches, nectarines, apricots, and crosses like pluots etc. I have the list of what is supposed to perform well here but there are several of each type. For example there are around 20 different peach trees. So, if anyone has trees that perform well for them it would be a help to wade through the numerous plants and hopefully pick a winner :)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

agility_mom, turtlman49 is right. There is more to it than that but he is right. There are lots of low chill fruit trees that do well here and produce quality fruit. Once you have chosen a cultivar you should read up on things that will make the most difference in your success or failure. You should read up on rootstocks and how to plant your trees and where to plant and how to water, fertilize and prune your trees.

I have a personal preference for standard and semi-standard rootstocks because they are more vigorous. Yes it means more pruning. It also means your trees won't need to be staked and that they will handle the stress of pests and our extreme environment better.

• rtl850nomore
    13 years ago

When I wanted to buy a nectarine tree I went to RSI Growers and talked with Turtleman personally. He is a absolute treasure trove of information. And, the trees are grafted and grown right here in the valley thus do not have to try so hard to adapt. FYI I am not associated with RSI growers in any way, just found them when researching places to purchase fruit trees.

• turtleman49
    13 years ago

It's easy to dial in.. do you want an early season, mid season or late season harvest?
    Free stone or semi cling,, (there just about isn't any true clings anymore)
    White or Yellow?

• softmentor
    13 years ago

I just love a great yellow peach. The one's that have done well for me are Mid-Pride, May-Pride, and Eva's Pride. Ones that have not are Florida Prince, Early Treat, Elberta.

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Since you appear to be a wealth of information TurtleMan perhaps you can give me some ideas on my Nectarine tree. I've had it about 5 years and I have not had any nectarines since the first year. It's about 8' tall, by my ramada and gets full sun (SW side of house). Every year I have loads of blossoms, but they don't ever make a nectarine. I've fertilized with MiracleGro, mulched the whole root area and poured root beer around the base to attract the bees! It's a great looking tree, just not productive. Any ideas?

• thisisme
    13 years ago

az_pamperedchef I realize you are asking turtleman49 but I can think of at least one thing that can cause this.

The amount you fertilize with and its timing can cause you to lose your blooms. Don't fertilize after bud-break until after the fruit are large enough to be thinned. To much at the wrong time and your tree may abort the fruiting process in favor of vegetative growth.

• turtleman49
    13 years ago

What type of nectarine is it?
    What rootstock is it on?
    and What area of the valley are you in (your soils)

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

...and what brand of rootbeer did you pour around the base?

(Sorry. Sometimes I just can't help myself).

MERRY CHRISTMAS Everyone.

Dave

• thisisme
    13 years ago

You made me laugh Dave and made me think too. If the bees drink the rootbear what would their honey taste like?

Merry Christmas everyone.

• softmentor
    13 years ago

* Posted by thisisme (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 24, 10 at 23:40

You made me laugh Dave and made me think too. If the bees drink the rootbear what would their honey taste like?

Not sure but it tastes great with vanilla ice cream.

Christ is born, a Son is given. The Great I Am, Wonderful Councilor, Son of God, Son of Man. Worship Him for He is King of Kings, and Lord of all.

God bless and Merry Christ-mass.

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Okay all of you! Enjoying yourselves at my expense! :-) Thisisme, it could be the fertilizer schedule. Turtleman49, I wish I knew the answers to your 1st two questions but I don't. I do know where I live ~ Avondale, clay-like soil. Hope that helps and thank you for your help.

• turtleman49
    13 years ago

Location helps narrow things a little,
    We can narrow things a little more, Where did you get the tree at? (it will give me a clue of the root stock it's on).
    90 times out of 100 the reason for premature bud drop is lack of pollination, the "type" of Nectarine is important because it may be a variety that need a pollinator. Just bees alone might not be the answer regardless of the soft drink they've had. If it was bought in from out of State it might have been a mis-match from the growers dig out, that would account for fruit set it's first season and failing the following seasons.
    Another reach for speculation is you might have a thrip problem. Nectarines grow well in our area "BUT" they will loose/damage their fruit if damaged by thrips.

Here is a link that might be useful: thrip link (google)

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Gosh! So much to worry about with gardening! I'm not sure it has thrips. I bought it at Home Depot and it said it did not need another tree for pollination. I'll need to take a picture of it and post.

• turtleman49
    13 years ago

Thrips is a long shot but something to be aware of. Theres several other reasons that might be why your having bud drop but that might have to go into more research than most people are willing to go.
    As far as buying from the Big Boxes, it's really a crap shoot as to what you have they use to receive allot of their material from LaVerne in CA so it's anyone's guess. I was at one of the box stores looking at a label on a tree that was telling me about this wonderful Orange tree that they were selling,,, it happened to be a Apple. Since they buy citrus from another vendor, it had to have had the label re-placed on it at the store ....