Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magicgarden_az

Can anything be planted in January?

magicgarden_az
18 years ago

Hi, I wondered if there is anything that can be safely planted in January? I own a home in Tucson but am working in New York right now. I will be home the first week of January and would love to do something - but I don't know what might be possible. And, has anyone been up to Mesquite Valley Growers lately?

Comments (9)

• marie5
    18 years ago

I was going to post a similar question. Can anyone tell me when it is safe to start planting again. I am in Tolleson
    area.

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Here's what Desert Tropicals sez...
    January
    The only winter month in Phoenix.
    - Spray dormant shrubs.
    - Last chance to plant bare roots trees and shrubs.
    - Prune roses and deciduous fruit trees.
    - Monitor freeze warnings
    - Plant summer bulbs.

What to sow:
    African Daisies, Ageratum, Alyssum, Bachelor Button, Calendula, California Poppy, Candytuft, Carnation, Clarkia, Delphinium, Everlastings, Gaillardia, Globe Amaranth, Godetia, Gypsophila, Helichrisum, Hollyhocks, Larkspur, Lupines, Nicotiana, Pansy, Petunia, Phlox, Pinks, Poppy, Salpiglossis, Scabiosa, Shasta Daisy, Snapdragon, Sweet Peas, Sweet Sultan, Sweet William, Verbena, Viola

In the vegetable garden
    - Plant bare roots asparagus and strawberries.
    - Plant cabbage, carrots, lettuce, potatoes, radishes.

Citrus
    This month is the coldest of the year. Stay on the lookout, and pay attention to the freeze warnings. You can then decide if you want to protect your trees. Young trees, should be protected, particularly sensitive species like limes. Citrus trees are mostly dormant, they still need some water. They are generally shedding some leaves. All the fruits are all ripe, enjoy!

Here's the veggie calendar link:

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1005.pdf

And the flower calendar:
    http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/pubs/flowertable.pdf

Note that this is all for the Phx and near to Phx areas.

HTH!

• Carrie_AZ
    18 years ago

And roses too. I like to plant most of my plants and roses in january so that they are established by the time the heat of the summer comes.
    Carrie

• aztransplant
    18 years ago

I went ahead and planted some silvery cassia & some native grasses yesterday. However, I'm pregnant and am afraid that if I don't do this stuff now, I won't get around to it in Feb/March!! :-)

• Pam Honeycutt
    18 years ago

Congratulations! Be careful not to overdue it.
    Let someone else do the heavy work...

Gemfire

• sirjonny
    18 years ago

In a related question, is there anything a nursery won't sell you in Jan?

It would be interesting to discuss how purveyors of plants rate in terms of scruples (or if employees simply lack plant knowledge)?

Personally, I moved here almost 3 years ago (in that freakishly hot July/Aug stretch) with zero knowledge of the climate and bought many an inappropriate plant for the area/season or how to best plant it. Most died. I take 100% of the responsibility for this as we live in a free market economy and with some patience and more time spent researching (this site is destination #1), I could have done a better job.

On the flip side, however, it might have been nice for someone to say I should wait 5 months to plant XYZ or placed it in this part of the yard. In fact, more and more do now that I know how to ask these questions in advance. Mom & Pop, Big Box, it doesn't matter. You'll find people in the know and also find people simply happy to ring things up and move on to the next customer in line.

Regardless, you are doing the best thing... asking questions. Heck, another 20% of my plants (and all weeds without water for 8 months) are thriving in conditions not suited to their original growing suggestions!

• cindy_ash
    18 years ago

sir, I have had the same issues with many nurseries. They have no scruples about selling anything, without regard to how it will grow and survive. Some places do label the plants so you know what their lighting, water and soil requirements are, but really, it would be nice if they'd help out newbies.

And you are right, research is key. If I were moving to a new place, I'd probably ask lots of questions before I buy. But then, when I walk into the nursery and see the abundance of green and color, I think I'd lose all sense of perspective as most newbies probably do :) And even now when I go to a new nursery, I ask the cashier who she asks for plant help, and they always point me in the right direction - usually one or two of the staff are very knowledgable.

• marie5
    18 years ago

I am trying to stick with my bare root roses although I have bought a few things I could not turn down and am waiting until
    Feb to plant those and hoping I can keep them alive until then. My washroom has turned into a make shift green house!

• Almeria
    18 years ago

Wow Pagancat
    Thanks for such a useful pointer. So glad I read this. I live in Spain but we have a similar climate, in this little south eastern corner, to Arizona. I am still pretty new to gardening and have only just started having much success - wish I had found this forum earlier. I have a few of the seeds Desert Tropicals listed all ready to go - things like Clarkia/Godetia which I have never successfully grown (and had never heard of until I found gardenweb!). I tried them last year but think they were in the ground too late - lots of foliage - which is still there! - but no flowers. I heard they need a cold spell(?) - which we may not get.(Should I just give up on them, yank them out and make room for other things - or might they finally flower?).
    Anyway, thanks so much for this list. I have renewed enthusiasm!
    PS The nurseries out here NEVER caution you about what will/won´t work. SOmetimes I think it is a cultural thing - the staff don´t want to boss you about if you think you know what you are doing. And sometimes I don´t think they know themselves! Once I asked if a plant was good for a shady area - they said "Yes. Great." Another week, I thought I´d check and I asked if the same plant was good for an area of hot sun. What was the answer? "Yes. Great." Made me laugh but also reminded me to rely on research from the web - esp, gardenweb!
    Thanks again
    Almeria