Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

What's looking good in your garden December 2012?

grant_in_arizona
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Hey, we're getting a late start on this, but December is a long month, LOL, what's looking good (or awful) in your garden this month?

So far my little garden looks really good. No frost for me yet, but some of my gardening friends in more outlying areas have had some light ones--you?

Anyway, here are a few pics from this month in my little garden:

An ageratum (sometimes called "blue floss flower", A. houstonianum) just going insane right now. It survived the long hot summer just fine and is now covered in blooms, in full sun.

{{gwi:426201}}

Aloe cryptopoda (a.k.a. Aloe wickensii) blooming away.

{{gwi:426202}}

Some containers of flowers (petunias, pansies, geraniums, alyssum, and some tomato plants too) out on the patio.

{{gwi:426203}}

And finally, some leaf lettuce and marigolds in the ground under a very small orange tree

{{gwi:426204}}

Merry Christmas to others who also celebrate it as I do, and Happy New Year and Happy Gardening to everyone! Let us see/hear what looks good or bad in your December 2012 garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: My December 2012 garden pics

Comments (6)

• thisisme
    11 years ago

I don't know what to say Grant. It all looks wonderful. This time of year I don't have anything that compares.

Come spring I will try to take some pictures of my fruit trees in bloom. They are so pretty when they are covered in flowers.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks thisisme, I appreciate the nice words. I sure wish my garden was as productive as yours. I'm workin' on it though. What fruit trees are you growing?

I've got quite a few different citrus, and several different varieties of pomegranate, plus a "custard apple" (sapote), but I'm always open to more. :)

Plenty doesn't look great in my garden, but here's a few more than look pretty good. Wilson the tennis ball gently placed to show relative sizes:

Some 'Wave Blue' spreading petunia really starting to bloom in a huge pot, surrounding a Mediterannean fan palm:

{{gwi:426205}}

A "Christmas cactus" (Schlumbergera truncata, technically the "Thanksgiving cactus") blooming away outside on the patio, and a newly purchased and newly repotted mini Cyclamen. If anyone has tricks/tips for keeping the cyclamen year to year, please share. I know they like some summer dormancy, but specifics would be great!

{{gwi:426206}}

Finally, a goofy, colorful talavera style hen pot filled with pink and magenta-red petunias on the patio this morning.

{{gwi:426207}}

Happy gardening all, please send this clouds away!
    Grant

• thisisme
    11 years ago

Beautiful just beautiful Grant. I have already purchased seeds of many of the flower varieties you have post in the past. I hope they sprout this Spring.

Here is a list of the fruit trees I currently have growing in my yard.

APRICOTS

1 Blenheim Apricot This one really produces well for me.
    --------------------------------------------------------

ASIAN PEAR

SHINSHEIKI. Harvest late July 15TH THROUGH August 10TH. Self-fruitful.
    -------------------------------------------------------

CITRUS

1 TROVITA ORANGE

1 GOLD NUGGET MANDARIN

1 MEXICAN/KEY LIME

1 ORO BLANCO GRAPEFRUIT
    -----------------------

FIGS

1 PARADISO

1 ATREANO Will likely pull.

1 LSU GOLD Will pull.

1 CONADRIA I really like this trees fruit. However it's not known for being very productive.

1 Violette de Bordeaux This one is a big producer of very tasty figs from late April till early December.
    -----------------------------------------------

NECTARINES

1 SNOW QUEEN White freestone. Late June harvest Self-fruitful.
    -------------------------------------------------------

PEACHES

1 BABCOCK. WHITE, Ripens July 7TH THROUGH 20TH. Self-fruitful. Will likely pull.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    PEAR

1 SUGAR PEAR RIPENS MID TO LATE AUGUST Self-fruitful
    ----------------------------------------------------
    PLUMS

1 BURGUNDY. harvest, July 20TH to August 10TH. Self-fruitful.

1 BEAUTY RIPENS JUNE 15TH THROUGH JUNE 26TH

1 EMERALD BEAUT ON CITATION RIPENS AUG 18TH THROUGH OCT 8TH

1 ELEPHANT HEART PLUM RIPENS AUG 28TH-SEPT 30TH
    ------------------------------------------------

MULBERRY

1 ILLINOIS EVERBEARING Self-fruitful This tree grows very very fast so IT requires frequent pruning. Oh, and it grows really really fast too.

Next up I want to get;

Gold Nugget Loquat
    SHERWOOD JUJUBE
    OPUNTIA NOPAL/MEXICAN FIG SPINELESS CACTUS
    HEDGEHOG/STRAWBERRY CACTUS.

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

I was worried this wasn't going to show up this month.

Sincerely,
    A dude across the country that wishes he could find work in Tucson and enjoys these threads.

PS- Hell, I'm thinking about getting out of the corporate world and getting a job with the USDA just for better transfer options.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow thisisme, you have an AMAZING array of plants! I'm so impressed! Please post lots of pics and updates all year long. I really need to plant some figs, I'm ashamed that I haven't done it yet (though a friend did give me a dormant cutting from one of her trees, though I don't know if it will make it).

I do have a ton of citrus and really enjoy it, plus I planted a baby "custard apple" (Sapote) this summer, so far so good. I need to branch out more though, like you. Do you have good luck with your plums?? I'm green with envy!

nc-crn, I hope you can do whatever it takes to get here if you love it here. I feel in love with this place on a layover in 1998 and sold everything and quit a great job to move here. I'm so happy I did! Hope you get your wish.

Okay, off to start a January thread right now.
    Happy gardening!
    Grant

• cap78
    11 years ago

grant everything looks amazing!

thisisme - how big is your yard? thats a lot of trees! i have an average size yard and wish i could have more than 8

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH