Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas cactus blooms (Thanksgiving cactus really)

Posted by grant_in_arizona USDA Z9 Scottsdale, (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 6, 09 at 12:29

Hi everyone,

Just for fun I thought I'd share a couple of pics of one of my several "Christmas cacti" (Thanksgiving cacti really, Schlumbergera truncata hybrids) in bloom.

I really like them, as do the hummingbirds, LOL. I've had several of them for quite a few years and find them really easy to keep happy. I just leave them outside in a shady spot,or a spot with just morning sun, and water them when dry. I DO bring them indoors for July and August, otherwise they get a bit stressed and drop leaf segments, but they're back outside by Labor Day and that's where they stay. Most of mine are unlabeled, but this one (miraculously, LOL) still has the variety name, 'Dark Marle':

Are you growing them inside/outside? We'd love to hear more about yours.

I also have one true Christmas cactus (S. bridgesii) that I started from a single segment, though the plant is still pretty modest in size. No signs of buds on it yet, but maybe early in the new year.

I hope you'll take a look and enjoy, and share about yours if you're growing them. I think they're certainly a better long-term plant that you-know-whats (poinsettias, LOL).

Take care,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Schlumbergera 'Dark Marle' bloom up close and personal. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Whole plant.

Here's the whole plant, just prior to blooming. I did put the you-know-what (tennis ball) in the pic to show size.

Take care,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Whole TC plant, just prior to blooming.

o
RE: Christmas cactus blooms (Thanksgiving cactus really)

Here's the same plant which has been opening a new bloom every day or so. Love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thanksgiving cactus in bloom on my patio.

o

Here is my beautiful Yellow Crab Claw Cactus (Better known as a Thanksgiving Cactus. It bloomed for the first time for me! I have had it for about 4 years now. I was thrilled that the blooms didn't drop on me. It, unfortunately was just sold to me as Yellow. It looks a lot like Gold Charm but since I don't own Gold Charm I can't make a comparison. Maybe one day!

o

Beautiful blooms, you two! Mine is showing no signs of buds yet, so I'm going out to have a talk with it. ;o)

o

Hiya Cyirra and all,

Congrats on the blooms! They're really, really lovely! I don't have any of the yellow/gold types so it's really fun to see yours. What conditions are you growing yours in?

I still have the one in these older pics ('Dark Marie')--it's in my den right now and is budding up nicely (and making a couple of early blooms each week too). Here's a pic of one of the early blooms from this week, it will make its larger flush in a month or three.

I've gone a bit overboard with Christmas cacti over the last couple of years, but they're so durable, and they love it here (indoors) and they bloom regularly for me (although often not until mid to late winter) so why not, right??

Here's a pic of a small rescue plant I got two years ago as an utterly wilted MESS with only five segments. Some bright light and occasional water have helped it revive.

Happy gardening indoors and out everyone, and tomato, please post pics of yours when they bloom!

Grant

o

Thanks! I bought four different colored cacti on ebay. They have moved around with me quite a bit. This is the first year I have gotten them to not only bud but open as well. They are currently in the laundry room in the basement. There they get a decent amount of light as well as the cold breeze from not so great windows. They seem to love it there which is a little disappointing because I can't really ever see them!

I have recently acquired more of them so I can see and compare the different blooms! I love having plants but I tend to kill them. These are the only type I can manage to keep alive, I really don't know how but they keep on going for me!

o

Well that's great you found something that works for you! I think Thanksgiving cactus are some of the best houseplants around (those and ZZ's especially). Keep us posted on all of yours and definitely share some pics everyone when you have blooms. They're so festive and fun. Happy houseplanting, hah!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here